Exit

🔎 Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC HEADER .jpg

How to provide Full Disk Access on macOS

Since macOS 10.14 (Mojave), Apple introduced a new privacy structure to help ensure that all applications obtain user consent before accessing documents, downloads, desktop, iCloud Drive, and network volumes. This has been reinforced in newer versions of macOS. This change prevents unauthorized access to user files and folders.

When Full Disk access & Accessibility permissions are needed, users may be asked to or be required to change the setting in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy for Lightroom Classic manually.   

While for the File & Folders access, the user is prompted to allow or deny when needed. 

Why provide full disk access to Lightroom Classic?

Insufficient or broken permissions may restrict Lightroom Classic from functioning correctly and break your workflows. All tasks that require access to the computer's storage importing/exporting images, cross-app workflows, reading/writing metadata,  and more, behave unexpectedly. It may also lead to missing images, performance issues, unexpected sync issues, and random app crash on launch or while working on a file. 

Watch this video for the steps:

MohitGoyal_0-1686770353032.png

Quick steps to enable full disk access and grant permissions to Lightroom Classic

Follow these steps to prevent the permissions issues from occurring: 

❶  Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Click the Lock icon > Authorize via password > Unlock the lock to allow changes to system settings. 

SameerK_0-1649863460950.png

Add Lightroom Classic by clicking on the (+) button & navigate to the Applications folder on macOS.

SameerK_0-1651070095792.png

Go to Full Disk Access and add Lightroom Classic by clicking on the (+) button & navigate to the Applications folder on macOS.
Note: Adding Lightroom Classic under Full Disk Access overrides Files and Folders settings. 

SameerK_1-1651063386869.png

Click the Lock icon to save the changes. Restart your computer to see the applied changes. 

Stay tuned for more tips to come.

Related links:

Lightroom Classic system requirements 

Quick Tips: Optimize LrC preferences for better performance 

Basic troubleshooting steps to fix issues in Lightroom Classic 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 388 Replies 388
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Granting full disk access made it. THANKS ALOT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a longtime LrC user, never had a problem before. Today I encountered this problem: I cannot delete my photos and cannot edit. it reports that filr does not exist. also I am getting an announcement" Lightroom cannot write to the following directories. until this problem is resolved, syncing from lightroommay not function correctly" Please advise. Thank you in advance. My email is [Mod: mail address removed]

[Moderator] 

[personal information removed per policy -  

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-community-professionals/email-signatures-and-personal-informati... 

[This is a public forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that LR has full-disk access in System Preferences > Security & Privacy.  See here for details:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-catalog-cannot-be-used-becaus...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, my problem was resolved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open LRCC a few pictures load ok but most stay blank - a few have the !mark  I get "There was an unknown error while writing metadata to this photo. Retry?”. The options are ‘Retry Metadata Export’ & when I click on that it says - Photos could not be found on disc, but they are there when I ‘Show in Finder’ (I keep my images on an external HD)

If I click on the other option - Import Settings from Disk - the progress bar on the top left of LR is there but doesn’t move.

The images show in LR Mobile, both on iPhone & iPad

I am using 11.3 on Mac OS 12.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristy,

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry for the trouble with Lightroom Classic. We are here to help.

The error is related to file & folder's read & write permissions and drive accessibility.

You can ensure Lightroom has the permissions needed on the Mac by following the steps suggested below:  

1.  Go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab.  
  2. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Lightroom is added to the list with a checkmark in front of it.  
  3. If Lightroom is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder.  
  4. Also, grant permissions to Lightroom under Full disk access found in the same list as Accessibility.
    SameerK_0-1650279949785.png
  5. Once done, lock the padlock to save the changes.
  6. Search for Disk Utility from Finder's spotlight search or magnifying glass.
  7. Run 'First Aid' diagnostic on the external drive. Check this to learn more: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210898
  8. Restart the computer.

Let us know if it works,

Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sameer

Yay - thank you so much for your quick & helpful response - it is all running smoothly now which is a great relief. I am so grateful for your help.
Many thanks
Kind regards
Kirsty 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom catalog cannot be used because the parent folder “/Volumes/Big LaCie/2022/JC 2022” does not allow files to be created within it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked the permissions of the folder, as before set, to read and write!

It's the same for all of my catalog's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like an issue with the recent OS upgrade resetting System Preferences, Security, Privacy permissions for Adobe to not have access to files and folders.  Added permissions and all now ok!

Summary of my enviroment: - MacBook Pro 2018, OS Monterey 12.3.1, LR 11.3 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made sure all my permissions were set to "read & write" and I'm still getting the parent folder message. 😕 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's were I was and getting nowhere! But then I checked :-

System Preferences >> Security >> Files and Folders >> Adobe apps..... (or you Full Disk Access >> Adobe Apps) 

And then all was good again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what i get now after doing updates. 

The Lightroom catalog cannot be used because the parent folder “/Volumes/8 TB (Mac)/XXX/Photos” does not allow files to be created within it.

Please either fix the folder permissions before continuing or choose a different catalog.

I cannot open LR at all. I checked the System Preferences . This is obviously a bug as it was fine yesterday before I did the updates to MacOS and to Lightroom Classic.

Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Lightroom have Full Disk Access? System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Full Disk Access (checked in the right column)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me!  I was having the exact same problem after updating both!  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your MACOS now?

What was your MACOS before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. This worked for me after long night of searching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks for updating your post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made the mistake of updating to macOS Monterey 12.3.1 and now my Lightroom 11.3 is wrecked, every photo is indicated as missing even though the entire drive and original photos are still avalaible. 

When in 'Develop' all of my presets are gone and each photo says 'file could not be found' even though the originls are all in the same place as they have been for the previous 2 years. Also all of my presets are gone.

When I try to import new .ARW files from my Sony A7iii, the library says 'no photos found'. Never had this issue before. I can import photos in to Lightroom mobile for desktop but not into Lightroom Classic.

Finally - I've seen trouble shooting tips to delete the old preferences to reset it but when I try that the .plst file doesnt even exist.

Can anyone please help? This is so frustrating considering I didnt do any migration or move drives or anything. 

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That combinations works fine on my machine. Check that Lightroom Classic still has the necessary permissions in MacOS. Maybe the update changed that:

DDBC5BD5-DC53-4262-8F73-CB715D888099.png

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines