• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic Catalog Integrity Check

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not find a definitive answer to these questions. I do a full system backup (differential) every night so do not use LR's built in  "Backup".

I run Optimse catalog (from the menu) at least weekly.

Does Optimise do an integrity check before (or after) running?

If not, is there a way of running an integrity check other than by doing a backup?

Thanks.

Richard

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default LrC opens the most recent catalog. This can be changed in preferences to other options, including to prompt you for what catalog to open. Alternately you can cause the prompt by the following:

At the MAC, press and hold down the OPTION key, and click on the LrC startup icon.

That should start LrC, but with a dialog screen asking about what catalog to open, select new catalog.

Why do I state this, and what does it have to do with an integrity check? The prompt includes the option to accomplish an integrity check when the catalog you choose gets opened.

Oh, and no, optimization does not do an integrity check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Optimise do an integrity check before (or after) running?

No, these are separate functions (as stated also by @GoldingD )

If not, is there a way of running an integrity check other than by doing a backup?

Yes, if you cause the "Select Catalog" dialog box to appear on startup, integrity check is an option in there. See https://fstoppers.com/education/take-control-lightroom-classic-startup-setting-521879

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John and Golding...

OK, so Optimise does not do an integrity check.

I have LR set up to open a specific catalog via command line so I never see any options.

Checking boxes each time LR is run is not a good way of doing things.

So, can the integrity check be done without doing anything else?

For example, is there a command line option to do an integrity check?

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know of, however you should probably do your own searches for this (if you haven't done so already).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paige, done extensively, DPR, Google, Adobe...

Essentially all I get is "Backup does it" or "error doing ..."

If there is no way of independently doing an integrity check, then I will post this to adobe as a feature request, IMO it is critically important that uers who manage their own system backup be able to do this, not have to "rely" on a LR backup.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have put the various comments in the Adobe and DP Review forums together and despite many saying you can only do an Integrity check with a backup; I have a workable solution.
1 - continue to use the command line to open a specified catalog with no prompts
2 - change the General Preferences from "Last catalog" to "Prompt". This setting is ignored when opening a catalog from the command line.
3 - create a new desktop shortcut starting LR with no catalog specified
4 - use this shortcut when necessary to select "Integrity Check" for the appropriate catalog.
5 - run "Optimise" as required.

This preserves the "no action required" in everyday operation and avoids the need to do a LR backup as the entire system is backed up every night (differential). No management of 4+ gb from each LR catalog backup that simply duplicates what I already have.
Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines