• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic catalog update issues

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, upon opening Lightroom CC for the second time, I was prompted to upgrade my catalog. I replied in teh affirmative thinking that as has happened in the past that everything would be ok once the catalog was updated. Well that didn't happen. When Lightroom opened after the upgrade, there was nothing. Just an empty screen with no photos, no collections, no information whatsoever. 

I don't know where to even start with this. We're talking thousands and thousands of hours spent. I opened the catalog settings and there is no indication of where I can even find a copy of the backup catalog.

I am totally baffled with this turn of events. I've been a user of Lightroon since version 2 and don't recall having an issue such as this. All of my data gets backed up in several locations so I am pretty sure the information I am looking for exists somewhere, I just don't know where to start looking.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look in File>Open Recent to see if there's anything there. You may have upgraded an empty catalog. If there's nothing, search for .lrcat files. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue has been resolved, at least I have all of my data back and everything seems to be as it should. What I don't understand is why this happened in the first place and what I can do to prevent this in the future. I still don't see a way to create a backup file even though my catalog gets backed up once a week. No indication about where anything gets backed up other than the original catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All Lightroom backs up is the catalog. You can check the backup location by going to Catalog Settings, and in Backup, switch to 'When Lightroom next exits'. Close Lightroom. The backup dialog will appear and show the backup location. You can cancel this backup and check the location. 

If you don't have an incremental backup system in place, you should consider it. I'd also recommend a cloud backup service. I'm using both Backblaze computer and B2. One does internal and connected drives, the other I use for final output backup. There are plenty of other services that do this, this is just what I'm using. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines