• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic Import out of sequence...

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I continue to find using Lightroom Classic a problem when importing photos from memory cards of photos taken with my camera (Sony a7iii). I import the memory card using Lightroom and the end result are photos out of sequence from the original order as recorded on the memory card. If I simply cut and paste the files from my memory card to a folder on my computer, all the files in the computer folder are in order as taken with the camera. If I import using Lightroom and afterwards look at the files on the computer, many of the files are near but out of sequence, even though the meta data displays the date and time taken., Lightroom for some strange reason switches a file/photo here and there. It's incredibly frustrating. I have read in previous forum posts about this and still cannot find why or how to fix this. It seems like a rather simple thing but maybe I'm just not aware from a digital writing standpoint how memory stores and keeps files on memory cards themselves. Is it because I use Sony?

I'm at a loss. 😞

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you doing any erasing of photos IN the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I take the card out of the camera, plug it in the MacBook, import using LR Classic and that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both the import dialog window and the library module set the Sort: to Capture Time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I may have found the solution to this issue. When using LR Classic I use the default setting on importing, which is "Capture Time."

I did four imports and with any minor selections none imported in order.

I finally selected under "File Renaming" from the "Template" drop-down "Filename - Sequence" and ran the import. All files from the SD card imported with the file name from the card/camera, in order as taken. Not one was out of place.

Maybe this was the change needed. I can always batch rename the files later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are NOT renaming on import it really does not matter in what order the images are copied from the memory card and placed on the computer drive. Whether the first images is copied first or the last image, or one in the middle, is copied first off the memory card.

All files are placed randomly on your computers drive. They are not placed in order by name or date created or any other criteria. It is up to the program you are using, File manager or whatever other type of program, to Display them in the order you select.

For LR it is how you Display them in the library module. If the camera is recording the correct time and you are using only one camera then setting the LR Library module to display them in Capture Time order, Sort: order, then you will see them from the last or the first image shot to the other end.

Renaming them on import to have a Sequence number can and most of the time will make them appear out of order if you select the Sort order of File Name but still should display them in order by using Capture time.

If you are using 2 cameras and the cameras Time system is not set correctly, IE they are both set to the same time, then you can get images out of order in blocks of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get what you're saying but it's too bad I couldn't rename the files, using "Capture Time" from the import page in LR and browse them using Bridge in order as taken. In Bridge, some files, although shot at the correct day/time (as confirmed in the meta data) show up randomly. Let me explain...

I did a headshot job last week for 60 folks. I shot about a dozen or so of each person. On import in LR, I selected to change the name under File Renaming drop down. I check the box next to Rename Files. Below that under the Template drop down I select Custom Name and below that where it says "Custom Text" I add the name I want to use - something like "CompanyName062119." LR would add the number and the final file name would look like: CompanyName062119-1.JPG, CompanyName062119-2.JPG, CompanyName062119-3.JPG, and so on.

After the import and looking in Bridge at the files I would find Person A, Person B, Person C, etc. in order as shot with the new file names as describe above but often find, for example, a photo of Person C mixed into the middle of the dozen photos of Person B. The file names would be correct (sequential) for the photos but the meta data would confirm that the photo/file of Person C mixed in the middle of Person B was out of order based on the date/time shot.

When I switched to what I described in my last post here, using simply the camera's file name and no custom text, the files imported and were lined up as shot when viewing them in Bridge. No random pics mixed in with another person's shots.

I'm still perplexed that this happens EVERY time I do this sort of import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the correct sort order selected in Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm moving right now but I'll check that when I get a chance here in a little bit. I believe the last time I looked at Bridge it was sorting by filename. That also doesn't answer the why about how the filename gets placed on a file out of sequence. For example file number 20 should really be 23.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, i thought they were sorting correctly in Lr but not Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey there! I know this was posted a while ago, but did you ever find a final solution to the import out of order issue? I have been experiencing the same thing for a few months now and I'm so tired of having to manually change the file names to put the images in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines