• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic reboots PC on export

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom instantly crashes my Win 10 PC on export. No warning, no activity spike, just I press Ok, PC goes to black every time like a charm

Canon R6 and Sony A7S III RAW files
Win 10 21H1, latest updates
LR 10.4, up to date
AMD Ryzen 5900X
32 Gb RAM
GeForce RTX 3090 FE (Full HW acceleration or no acceleration make no difference)
Crucial PCIe Gen 4 SSD with files

Tried disabling hardware acceleration and reseting LR Classic setting, updating drivers and BIOS. No effect, still goes into reboot

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPD, It appears that LR Classic has also broken my catalog with a sorted week-long shoot with 12K photos. Every time I try to open it, LRC says that it is opened in another copy of Lightroom. I deleted everything, every bit of Adobe soft in my system, reinstalled only CC and LRC, rebooted my PC and still it shows me that this catalog is being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your first underlying problem, no clue.

For your second, first problem causing LrC to not properly close, so the lock file is not getting deleted. This file is created at LrC launch, deleted at LrC closure. It exists to prevent multiple instances of one catalog being in use. Delete the lock file. Be careful to delete the correct file.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-error-catalog-cannot-be-opened-lrcat-lock.htm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, not a solution, but a warning/caution/comment

You do keep backups of your catalog, correct?

And backups of your photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work thru this standard sop for issues. Perhaps #6. (reset preferences)

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/standard-lightroom-troubleshooting-steps/

Resetting Preferences is Adobe Speak for deleting the preference file and letting LrC create a  new one. Also known as Restoring the Preference file. The preference file can get corrupted leading to odd behavior. The preference file will survive updates, upgrades, uninstalls, reinstalls. Note that a secondary result of doing so, will be preference settings returning to defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom instantly crashes my Win 10 PC on export."

This sounds like a hardware problem -- LR can't cause a software crash of the computer unless there's a bug in the graphics driver or operating system (highly unlikely in this case). LR export utilizes much more of the CPU and memory than a typical app and thus can be the proximate trigger of hadware problems.

Initial troubleshooting steps:

1. Run hardware diagnostics, especially on memory:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-test-your-pc-for-failing-hardware/

2. There may be a problem with the cooling system (e.g. dust-clogged fans). There are many reports on this forum over the years of LR, especially LR export, causing badly cooled CPUs to overheat, at which point the system firmware instantly shuts down the computer.  (Very few other apps use 90% of all 12 cores for extended periods.)

There are many utilities available for monitoring temperature -- I use Intel's free Power Gadget, but you can google for one for AMD chips. Run the utility, then start and export, and see if the temperature zooms up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It might be a hardware failure but it doesn't even get a chance to ramp up. I press "export", PC crashes. No delay, no work done. It might be a power spike that power supply or motherboard can't handle (overcurrent protection might cause that reboot), it might also be some software issue. I continue to test. Thanks for LR catalog advise, I'll check it out. I do have four backups but they are older versions and I don't want to lose 2 days of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines