• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic: unable to move folder to another catalog

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using LR Classic 10.2 and imported a folder into the wrong catalog. Went to intended destination catalog and selected File>Import From Another Catalog, and cannot select the target folder. All images in it (and, in fact, all images in all folders) are grayed out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the LRC forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the "wrong" catalog, select the folder of interest and then File->Export as Catalog.

Then, in the "right" catalog, select File->Import from Another Catalog, and then select the catalog you just created from the instructions in the first sentence above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried as suggested. It won't let me import that exported catalog either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not download attachments. Please place your screen capture in your reply by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies. Novice community member here, Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 12.57.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain how this screen capture relates to the problem being discussed.

You state: "It won't let me import that exported catalog either." What happens when you try? Is there an error message? If so, please quote the exact word-for-word error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there is no error message. I am unable to import the the folder in question because the "Choose" button (and all the image files within the folder) are grayed out. This is exactly what happened when I tried to import the folder directly from catalog to catalog--which I'm certain I've done in the past--without the additional step of exporting it as a catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated by @JohanElzenga , you do not import the FOLDER. You import the exported catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an option presented in the "import from another Catalog" process to select only some of the images - by folder - rather than merging in the entire contents. I am not sure why that folder subsetting option should not be working correctly for the OP.

But by instead selectively Exporting as Catalog only desired images as highlighted (this is an option checkbox - also, un-check "include originals" so that new copies are not made of those); you can then merge in to the main working Catalog,(using Import from Catalog) the entire contents of this temporary intermediate, doing so unselectively. This intermediate Catalog file is then disposable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@richardplondon wrote:

There is an option presented in the "import from another Catalog" process to select only some of the images - by folder - rather than merging in the entire contents. I am not sure why that folder subsetting option should not be working correctly for the OP.

That is because he doesn't understand how "Import from another catalog" works. He tried to select the folder of images he wants to import, but he should have selected the catalog file. In the dialog that comes up he can indeed select specific folders of that catalog, so exporting the folder as catalog first is not even needed.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use "Import from another catalog" you must choose that other catalog file, not the images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines