• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic v11.4 is importing raw files as b&w

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed LR Classic on a new windows computer OS version 21H2.  When I import images from my Fujifilm X-H1 the previews are black and white.  When I import the same images to my old computer running LR Classic v11.3.1 they come in in color.  The images were captured using monochrome film simulation.  How do I get the new computer's LR to import/preview in color?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Which suggests that you when you import you have selected "Embedded & Sidecar" previews on the "B&W" system, but not on the other (as per my suggestion earlier). That option presents the embedded jpeg preview generated by the camera (using whatever profile you have selected) in the Library module, but reverts to the Raw Default profile (set as Adobe Default) when you switch to the Develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change profiles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does "change profiles?" mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compare the Raw defaults that you have set on the two systems in the LrC Preferences>Presets tab. It sounds as though your have got the Adobe Default set on the old computer (so LrC ignores the in-camera settings, thus on import the Adobe Color profile will be applied), whereas on the new computer you might have "Camera Settings" set as the default (or you override the global settings for the specific camera), which would therefore render using the in-camera monochrome setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both conputers Raw Default is set to Adobe Default and the"Override global settings for specific cameras" is NOT ticked.  Also, I just restarted LR on both computers and tested imports but nothing has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the Import dialog....are you applying a develop preset in the "Apply During Import" panel on either of the two systems? Or, are you selecting Embedded Previews during import on one system, but not on the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Preferences - Presets. Here you can set the camera default. Do not use 'Camera Settings', but another preset. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'previews' from where, the camera (LCD)? Those are JPEGs generated from the raw, based on some camera settings but raw is raw. It has to be rendered and that's what LR does and initially based on as others have stated, the presets and profiles. So it is possible you see B&W in one place and color in another simply due to how each 'preview' was built. But it's all good because again, raw is raw. You can render them in color, B&W, both, or any number of ways. But the import preset (defaults) is what determins what you initially see after import AND LRs proprietary preview generation. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reference to "previews" was to the catalogue image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those previews are again, based upon the import specifications to generate them. On one machine, what set is what you get, but if you were to import on two machines with differing preset/defaults (one B&W, one Color) then yes, you'd see two differeing previews in each. You say "The images were captured using monochrome film simulation" Which really has no bearing on the above but again does on the camera previews on the LCD. IOW, you can over-ride the simulation based upon the import of the raw data. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked - all settings in  Preferences and Catalogue Setting are identical on both machines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you can also select any number of IMPORT PRESETS. 

Check those. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DClark064_0-1655747644155.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you are showing me DClarko64.  Since I started this thread I now see that although the catalogue thumbnail is in b&w the color image turns up when I go to the Develop module.  Also, any edits make the catalogue thumbnail into a color image.  And if I export one of the b&w thumbnails as a jpeg (without any edits) it is saved in color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which suggests that you when you import you have selected "Embedded & Sidecar" previews on the "B&W" system, but not on the other (as per my suggestion earlier). That option presents the embedded jpeg preview generated by the camera (using whatever profile you have selected) in the Library module, but reverts to the Raw Default profile (set as Adobe Default) when you switch to the Develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim Wilde you are right!  Thank uou.  I have spent most of a day trying to figure this out.  I think I missed or misunderstood your earlier suggestion.  Thanks also to all who responded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines