• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic v8.2.1 stacking missing from context menu

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a clean install of Adobe LR Classic v8.2.1, Photoshop 20.0.4 and Camera Raw 11.2.1

When externally editing in photoshop, upon saving in PS the new .psd image is created and added to the LR Library view alongside the original CR2 file.  There is no 'stacking' option on the context menu (by right clicking on the image in LR) and the stacking options in the Photo menu are grayed out.  In preferences >> external editing   Stack With Original is checked.  Am I missing something or is this a LR issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

You are probably in a "Smart Collection" where stacking is not available.  Also, its beneficial to post a screen clip of the "full" Lightroom window to help diagnose these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably in a "Smart Collection" where stacking is not available.  Also, its beneficial to post a screen clip of the "full" Lightroom window to help diagnose these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably in a "Smart Collection" where stacking is not available. 

or in the Quick Collection or All Synced Photographs.  (LR's stacking is weird.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird and frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so weird!

Your photo library is like a grocery store-

You can stack cans on the shelf (Library), you cannot stack them on your shopping pad list (Collection).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can stack photos in a collection -- I wish the rules for stacking were that simple.  Here are the rules I know of:

- If you stack photos in a folder, you can see that stack in parent folders and in All Photographs, but not in collections or smart collections.

- You can't stack photos from different folders, or from folders and collections together.

- You can stack photos in a collection, but you can't see that stack in the parent collection set, in folders, in All Photographs, or smart collections.

- You can't stack photos displayed in a smart collection.

- You can stack photos in Previous Import, but not in Quick Collection (though it's called a "collection") or All Synced Photographs.

- If you create a virtual copy while in a collection, the copy will be stacked with the photo in its folder, not in the collection, and the stacking won't be visible when  viewing the collection.

- In contrast to creating virtual copies, Auto Stack By Capture Time creates the stacks in the folder (if you're in a folder) or the collection (if you're in the collection).

- If you edit a photo externally with the option Stack With Original, the edited photo will be stacked in the containing folder regardless of which source you're viewing. If you edit a photo while viewing a collection, two stacks will be created, one in the folder and one in the collection.

- When you create a Capture Frame from a video, Lightroom stacks the capture frame with the video clip. The stack is only visible when viewing All Photographs or the folder containing the clip. If you captured the frame while in a collection, the frame will be added to the collection but the stack will only be visible when in All Photographs or the containing folder.

- When you select the options to re-import exported photos with the Add To Stack Option, the stacks will be created in the photo's containing folder and only visible there, even if you are exporting photos from a collection.

(And no, I can't keep these in my head. I helped Adobe correct the manual two years ago: Lightroom: Incorrect documentation for stacking | Photoshop Family Customer Community)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And I can't keep these in my head, so I'm also going with "Weird and frustrating"

Thanks John for the comprehensive reply- more than I need to know.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bob!

Getting out of a smart collection brings back the "stacking" in the Library view.  Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines