• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic will not load my images

Engaged ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered another LRC problem. LRC will not download my images. Usually I hit 'import' on the bottom left of the LRC screen, the screen changes to the Import Rectangle box and I hit 'import' again and the images begin to transfer. This time the 'Import' button was dark and unresponsive. I got out of and back into LRC without any change. The rest of LRC seems to be working (on my Windows 10 PC). 

How do I trouble shoot this?

Thanks,

Photodoc16 (Richard)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to reset the Lightroom preferences. 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/ 

From which location do you try to import your photos, card reader, camera etc.?

Try to copy the files to your internal hard disk and try the import from this location.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If resetting the preferences doesn't fix the problem, can you tell us which of the two "Import" buttons was "dark and unresponsive"? If it is the button at bottom right of the main Import dialog, that usually means that you haven't yet completed the dialog.....either you haven't selected a source (left hand panel), or you haven't checked any images to import in the centre panel, or if you are doing a Copy as DNG or Copy or Move operation (selected at the top of the centre panel) then you may not yet have selected a Destination in the right-hand panel. You need to check the import screen carefully to make sure it's all setup correctly. It you still can't get it to work, please post a screenshot of the Import dialog so that we can maybe figure out what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,Hi Unfortunately, the automatic Reset Preferences route did nothing. After clicking on 'reset preferences' there was no further message or anything. Just silence. And the import function still did not work.The second screen (Select Source) showed a quick shift from Add to Copy. When I hit the Import button in the lower right (between Done and Cancel) again nothing. That Import button is dark as opposed to the other two which are lit up.I never have to set a destination on the right side. There it says - "into subfolder" which is blank, "organize" by date and "data format." Images usually populate the Library at this point after hitting the Import button.As far as setting a 'destination,' the closest I can come is in a drop down on the left where "from: EOS_digital (H:)" is checked.

Here is a screen shot:

richardg52861327_0-1623335361531.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The import button is disabled because there no files found that can be imported.

Do you use a card reader or do you have connected your Camera to the computer?

There a files on the SD card? Which type of files are on the card?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,
I use a card reader and the files are on the card when I check with the
camera. The reader has not been a problem or the card. Should I connect the
camera to the CPU and download the way I used to? How else can I test this
system? The files are all RAW.
Thanks,
Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the screenshot, but as @AxelMatt says, there are no images selected. It would help you (and us) if you showed the full screen import dialog, rather that the minimal version that you are showing. Click on the down arrow at the bottom left to expand the dialog to full-screen, then take another screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

Here is the enlarged version.

richardg52861327_0-1623341731180.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the box that says "Include Subfolders" near the top of the left-hand panel (or the Include Subfolders button centre of the screen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex and Jim,
BREAKTHROUGH.
When I hooked my camera up to the CPU and put in my card, the images
downloaded without a problem. Import lit up and all was right with the
world.
So...does that mean that my card reader is crap or the cable is crap?
Something is screwed up.
Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not a breakthrough, you simply have to ensure that the Include Subfolders box gets checked when you import from the card reader (and you should always use a card reader rather than a direct camera attachment). Once you check that box it should "stick" so that you don't have to keep checking it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Jim Wilde has wrote you have to make sure that the option "Include Subfolders" is checked.

See the screenshot.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 195714.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex and Jim,

richardg52861327_0-1623357339227.png

This is a screen shot of the drop down in the import screen. As you can see, I have checked the 'Subfolder' choice and the other check was on there from the start. The Import button remains dark. What now? Couldn't it be a defective card reader?   Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That minimalist import dialog really isn't very helpful for diagnosing problems like this. Please expand it again and post another screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This the expanded screen. 

richardg52861327_0-1623364617695.png

I think I should be on H:\DCIM. Now that the 'subfolder' is checked what can the problem be? I don't even use 

the subfolder this way. I make a subfolder after the images are downloaded. 

Thanks,    Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't see what the problem is....we need to see the screenshot the way you did it earlier without that drop-down recent sources list covering the left-hand panel, so can you do it again. Something is not right, because "Add" has been selected as the import type, and that is not supposed to be possible when a memory card is selected. What type of memory card is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is confusing. Every single time I try to load images into LRC the load
type immediately changes from Add to Copy, without fail.
However, I will send you another screen shot.
Thanks,
Richard
The screenshot is attached. But, strangely enough, this time the second
screen was skipped and the Lightroom screen appeared and showed the images
for a flash and then they disappeared. I think that I reloaded the memory
card with no new images and LR picked up on it and did not load them so it
would not duplicate. I will put some new images on the card and see what
happens.
[image: image.png]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is confusing. Every single time I try to load images into LRC the load type immediately changes from Add to Copy, without fail. However, I will send you another screen shot.

There is no screenshot attached.

Also, if you are trying to Import from a camera card, or other removable device such as a USB thumb drive, you cannot ADD and it is supposed to allow only COPY or COPY as DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gentlemen,

The screen shot is here instead. My Bad. I shot some more images and put the card in the reader and the images were immediately copied to LR but into the second screen. I had to hit Import again for them to go to the usual LR library screen.  The screen shotis from the second screen where I had to hit Import again to see the images in the Library.  So what now - just see what happens with the next batch?  Thanks,  Richard

richardg52861327_0-1623422500071.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing wrong in that screenshot (apart from the fact that if you switched to the grid view rather than the single image loupe view, you'd get a better view of what is going to happen).

But fundamentaly, I feel you're not fully understanding how the import process works, and you'd be well advised to look up some of the many video tutorials that are online. Briefly:

1. When you hit the first Import button in the Library module, that invokes the import dialog (and until you get the hang of it, I would suggest you always use the enlarged full screen import dialog).

2. When the import dialog opens Lightroom will check your system to see what devices are online that are potential sources of the import, so it looks for locally attached hard drives, network drives, plus any removable devices such as cameras or card resders with a memory card inserted.

3. If it does not find any removable devices, it will assume that you are wanting to add existing images from one of the attached drives, so the import type is automatically set to "Add" and the user will need to select the source folder(s) from the relevant drive in the left-hand panel. In that mode, the File Renaming and Destination panels cannot be used, so are hidden. Note: the user can still manually choose one of the Copy or Move options, in which case the other two panels will then appear and would need to be dealt with according to the user's preferences.

4. If it does find a removable device, such as a card reader or camera, that device will be automatically selected as the import source and because Classic will not allow "Add" to be used for removable media types, the "Copy" option will be used by default (but "Copy as DNG" can also be used, but not "Move"). In that situation, the Renaming and Destination panels will appear, and the user needs to ensure that the Destination panel in particular is correctly setup. Note also that Classic does not allow by default any already imported images to be re-imported, so if you re-present a memory card which only contains already imported images, it will tell you that there are no new images found.

5. Once all the dialog is setup, the user presses the Import button, bottom right, and the Import dialog will immediately disappear and will be replaced by the Library module where the user will see the grid start to populate with the thumbnails of the images as they are imported.

That's a brief description of the import process, but there are a lot more nuances which you need to spend a little time understanding. But once over the "Show Subfolders" hiatus, nothing in that last screenshot is amiss (other than, as I said, the Grid would be a better viewing mode). However, you also ought the expand the other three panels in the right-hand panel, as each contains import options that you may wish to explore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Jim,
Thank you so much for the explanation of the LR import process. I actually
read Robin Whalley's book on Mastering the Library Module in his Adobe
Lightroom Classic CC publication. I thought I knew a bit about it when I
started using LRC. What you are telling me is what I have been doing for
over a year and as you indicated, there are no obvious errors in the setup
that would have been responsible for the failure to download my images.
I will watch more closely and try to learn from the right sided panels as
well.
The fact that the download process is now working leaves me a bit cold
since if it happens again I don't know what I would do.
Thank you for all your time and expertise. My best to Alex. If you answer
any other problems that come up, I hope that at least they are not related
to this one.
Richard Gold

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines