• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Crash shortly after start up MacOS 11.5.2

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is consistently crashing (hanging up) shortly after start up. OS and software are all up to date. Conducted a Lightroom preferences reset (option+shift+"start program"). Also switched off GPU from inside LR. Neither has had any impact and the program still hangs shortly after start up.

Computer specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2018, 2.6GHz 6-core i7, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 512 GB SSD.

Crash report attached.

Please help...thank you in advance!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still crashing? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still crashing? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR opened (with a different catalog) in safe mode. So what is the next step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kenyongerbrandt wrote:

LR opened (with a different catalog) in safe mode. So what is the next step?

Unfortunately, that is the tough part. 

When you logged into another account, lots of software and the sort, that load in the other account didn't. Something is conflicting with LR. The 'clean' log in doesn't crash so there is some conflict in your user system. 

That indicates it isn't an LR issue per se but something else running on your machine when you log into that account that is causing the crash. You could start by going into system preferences, Users and seeing what automatically is set to start up and disable these items, one by one. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've reviewed the email address you use with this forum and find no crash reports in our system.

Do you use a different email address when filling out the crash report?

Was the crash dialog Adobe or Apple?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please try:<removed> not sure why this email would not be showing up in your system...also I attached a copy of the last crash report generated...is that not accessible for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no crash reports under that email either. 

You should post your existing report as .txt file instead of a .docx file.  Security concerns will prevent most from looking at the .docx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the TXT version of the DOCX file I posted earlier...please accept this file as an official crash report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for you to screenshot the Crash Dialog and post the image here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously? I've posted the log in 2 different file types (per your request) and now you need a screenshot? I don't get the moving target...can you explain this to me so I can understand how to get a crash report to Adobe so that it can be used to fix a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the screen shot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a screenshot of the log - I need to see a screenshot of the Crash Dialog that appears when the crash occurs. It would have a place for you type details and enter your email address. Do you get a dialog like that?

It looks similar to this.

Crash_Report.png.img.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the crash dialouge as it appears on my computer:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That answers the question. This is an Apple Crash dialog - not an Adobe Crash dialog. At the top it says your report is being sent to Apple - not Adobe - which explains why I could not find any crash logs for you in the Adobe system. 

Have you contacted Apple regarding the crash?

This looks similar to a User Account Corruption - possibly.  To test this, create as a test a new user account with Admin priveledges.  Attempt to recreate the crash while logged into this test account.  If you can recreate the crash that likely rules out the UAC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk,

I think we need to differntiate between a 'crash' and a user 'forcing quit' when application becomes unresponsive. The log file is clearly a 'Hang' rather than a crash, and LrC, etc doesn't normally create/send logs to Adobe.  I appreciate I may be splitting hairs here, but it's an important distinction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is valid, @Ian Lyons   I do see the report is actually an App Hang. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at at the Hang report closer, I see a lot of refernces to 'com.apple.AppleUserHIDDrivers'. I believe this is the Apple's Human Interface driver, which in plain english is keyboard, mouse, pen, etc. It would be useful to know if the OP is using a Logitech keyboard/mouse and has the Logitech plugin for Lightroom installed. Just a guess, but I thought worth mentioning, especially as it has caused issues at launch in past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using an Apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse. Same keyboard and mouse have been used with the laptop since purchase in 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will move this to Apple. Thank you for helping me understand the difference between Apple and Adobe crash logs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple said it is an adobe problem and that I should contact Adobe. Told them I had already done that. The reply was to delete and reinstall the program and if I continue to have problems they will "escalate...is it just me or is it getting hot in here? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you decide to follow their advice, I would recommend this procedure:

Clean Lightroom Install Procedure

• Close Lightroom
  • Restart the computer
  • Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom
  • Restart the computer
  • Install Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.
  • Restart the computer
  • Launch Lightroom
  • Wait 5 minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this Rick. Just spent an hour on the phone with Apple Tech. Final recommendation was a complete uninstall/reinstall of Creative Cloud. Do you have a recommended procedure for that? I assume it would follow a similar pattern to what you recommended above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the steps at this doc: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html?PID=7221644 for complete clean reinstallation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines