• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR imported catalog did not import collections & attributes

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic, set up a new master catalog on macbook (did that because of other prior issues), imported from external hard drive (which were from PC).  All photos did import but no flags, ratings or collections came over.  Any solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are going to have to rebuild all of those collections and redo the flags and ratings. Importing from another catalog does not import all of those things. The purpose of that feature is to import the images and the adjustments made to those images. But it is not intended to completely merge everything from the other catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you import the photos, or did you import as catalog? Importing as catalog could maintain collections, ratings and flags. These attributes are stored only in the catalog. Other things (like develop settings) can be stored in photo metadata so may have survived if you just imported the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I clicked "Import", selected my external drive, then clicked "add" to my catalog (the new one I set up). I also noticed no history came over also.  I am wondering if I should have created a new catalog and clicked "copy" instead of "add"?  Your thoughts before I attempt this.  Thanks sooooo much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use the Copy method because this will copy all of your photos to a new location.

It's important to understand that Collections, Edit History, Metadata (like keywords and flags) are all stored inside of the catalog, not on the drive with the photos. If you import the old catalog it will bring all these things into the new catalog. Importing the photos into a new catalog does not do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Thank you, the way you just explained it all made sense. Now I need to
    bring in my old catalogs to the "master" I set up and should be all set
    then?
    Julie

--
    Very truly yours,
    Julie DeMello

EDITED BY MODERATOR TO REMOVE CONTACT INFORMATION - Geoff the kiwi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you imported the images, while you should have imported the catalog. Use the 'Import from Another Catalog' menu, not the 'Import Photos and Video' menu.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines