• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Preset applying when advancing images rapidly via arrow key.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have had 2 issues for about a year that have not been fixed despite support calls.

Issue 1: Creating a Virtual Copy in Develop Module or Library Loupe View, while MULTIPLE images are selected, will create the virtual copy and also advance to the next image instead of keeping the new virtual copy selected. Ex if I create a virtual copy of image #80, it will create #81 as the virtual copy, but then automaatically advance to select and show image #82 in the edit window. 

Issue 2: When advancing through the timeline in Develop Module using the keyboard arrow keys, if you advance too quickly the image you advance to will adopt the previous image's editing preset. 

Both problems happen in multiple catalogs. You can see the screen recording below for examples of each. 

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

I was able to replicate the unexpected Preset Application using Arrow keys today and have logged it with the team.  It took many attempts but if the arrow is fast enough it can be replicated.

Update:
We are no longer able to reproduce this on our end. To those on this thread, do you still see the issue in 13.1?

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
19 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell what is causing this glitch. 

Using LR Classic, looks like 12.1?  iMac running Ventura. 

My standard process- edit all photos in the gallery. Select all, create virtual copy. Then I sync/paste my B&W edit on to all of these virtual copies. Then I go through and tweak each one. 

LR has on and off started a weird glitch- I edit photo and then press the side arrow on my computer to advance to the next B&W image. It shows B&W in the bar at the bottom, but once it loads, it ADDS one of my presets on top of it, without me clicking anything. I can see in the history the "Create virtual copies", then "Paste Settings", and then "Preset: XXX". .... But I never clicked the preset button. 

Any idea why it's doing this? It doesn't do it on every photo, but probably 75% of the time? And I think only when I arrow button over to the next, not if I select it with my mouse. Something to do with the sync? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Auto Sync turned on? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to go back and check (I am very new to using sync) but no I don't believe so. The sync button is greyed out, but also not every image that I had originally synced does this, nor does it actually apply the edits that I do to every photo. 

I created virtual copy and applied a B&W edit to all via sync. It shows correctly in the bottom panel. But then when I arrow over to select the photo, it auto applies one of my color edits. The rest of the photos remain the same. 

I did trouble shoot a bit last night at it does *not* do it when I select a photo, only when I arrow over. AND only when I arrow over quickly- if I pause briefly on the original (non virtual copy) image, then it doesn't apply the colour edit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hover over any preset, it will preview in the main window., but it shouldn't happen while hovering on a thumbnail in the filmstrip. 

Is it possible to see a screen video capture of the issue? Quicktime Player will allow you to do a screen recording. File>New Screen Recording

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok in this clip, the first change between photos it did it (auto applied All my love), and then the next switch did not do it, and then the third switch between photos it again auto applied. You can see that my mouse didn't move or hover near the presets. I was using the right arrow key to switch to the nezt photo (two over) in the develop strip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still hard to tell what's going on. Removing History only clears the history of settings changes, and doesn't remove a step. You have to click a History step to go back to it. If you have a bunch of images with a preset applied, usually it's because multiple images were selected when a preset was applied in Library's Quick Develop, Auto Sync was on in Develop with many images selected. It may also have been selected as part of import. It's possible that the preview for an applied preset isn't updated immediately and you're seeing it as it updates, but I'm not seeing enough here to have a proper clue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I had to cut the video because of the max upload size. 

I get what you're saying about perhaps the preview just not showing accurately, however it never does this if I simply mouse click on the image. It *only* does it if i use the keyboard arrows to quickly navigate to the new image. 

Every single black and white image was also synced at the same time, so if they were auto syncing, they should ALL be doing it, not just the ones that I click over to quickly, and it should do it when I mouse click on the image as well, you know? 

Now that I know I just need to use the side arrow slower, it's fine. But I still wish I understood WHY it was doing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your video, the "All my love" preset is being selected. How is that happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I'm saying. Clearly my mouse isn't moving. It's auto applying it somehow/for some reason. But only under certain conditions. Only on virtual copies. Only if I use the keyboard to navigate, and only if I do so quickly without stopping at the middle image briefly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not duplicate the preset issue but if I use the arrow keys to cursor through the filmstrip quickly some of the photos will have a "White Balance: As Shot" history step applied.  There is another thread I will have to find that has the white balance issue.  

Found it

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/white-balance-information-added-to-hist...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like it's either a bug, or a Preferences issue at this stage. I know Bob has posted a link to something that seems similar, but it may be woryh resetting preferences. You should back up preferences first in case it doesn't work, so you can get back to how you like Lightroom more easily. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not been able to replicate this with the instructions provided.  @Bob Somrak  I cannot replicate the behavior you are seeing either. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding Item 2: I cannot replicate with the instructions or after watching the video. 

Regarding Item 1: I am not convinced this is a bug or at least not the bug you think it is. As a test try the same workflow you demonstrate in your video (select 3 and create VCs (via KBSC?)-that wasn't clear in the video) - but do it in Grid mode in the Library Module. It behaves correctly there on my end. Filmstrip in Develop is not designed to work across multiple images without Autosync enabled - at least not the same behavior as Grid. I wonder if the actual bug here is that creating multiple VCs via Filmstrip is not supposed to work but is and is causing the difference in behavior.  Can you confirm the behavior you are seeing in Grid?

Thanks for the video. It makes it much clearer what you are attempting.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an update- I've determined it appears to be grabbing the preset from the immediately proceeding photo. Whatever preset I had applied to that photo, it will auto apply ONLY if I use the arrow keys to move "right right" quickly towards the photo I want in the film strip.  ie if I move really quickly using the arrows from 125, 126, 127 and then stop on 127- it will auto apply whatever base preset I have on 126. Not the rest of the edits, just the preset.

No syncing was done at all in this current batch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk. The bug for the VC's happens in Develop Module, and in Loupe View in Grid Mode, ONLY when using KBSC. To clearify, dating back to LR v3 (when I first started using LR), when multiple images are selected in develop mode or Loupe View Grid Mode, it would always create the VC of the image you currently have active within the group of selected images, and then make the VC the active image in the edit window. Not until last year did the annommaly start where the active image VC is created, but then auto-advances to the following image, not the VC. I am not attempting to create a VC for every image within the seleciton, just the active image. So I hope this helps, I'd be happy to go into more detail if needed. I just updated to v12.3 of LR Classic and is still an issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to replicate the unexpected Preset Application using Arrow keys today and have logged it with the team.  It took many attempts but if the arrow is fast enough it can be replicated.

Update:
We are no longer able to reproduce this on our end. To those on this thread, do you still see the issue in 13.1?

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go through photos using the arrow keys, consistantly but randomly, presets will begin to be applied to photos and I cycle through. It is usually a preset applied to a photo that gets carried over to the next photo and the next and the next. I cant seem to find any discussion about this being an issue anywhere else; it feels like a bug, but is there a setting that might have gotten changed that would force this action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I haven't noticed it happening recently but I'm actually editing tonight so I sat and tried to purposely see if I could recreate and no issues- looks like maybe it's fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate