• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Navigator not displaying same file structure as Finder

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used LR for about 18 years so I do know my way around! Currently LR 12.2.1 with MacOS Ventura (M1 chip)

I recently set up a new folder for March 23, as I do for each month.  I imported 4 images initially: 1 from my camera, (RAW) and three from the desktop (JPEG) where they had been temporarily stored.

In LR the camera image appears in the new folder, the other three appear in an identically named folder apparantly at the top level (same as the whole Library).

If I try to move images from one to the other, either way, I get an error message saying the files are already at that location.  Checking in Finder shows just the one folder, where I want it, with all four images.

This only seem to happen after 12.2, but no better with 12.2.1

I have checked the Settings, but there is no option about how Navigator displays the file structure.

Anyone got any ideas?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot of your Folders panel would be most helpful to ensure we understand what you're seeing. I understand that you have one folder showing in it's own separate file structure away from the rest of your Library. Have you tried removing that folder in the Folders panel? (You'll have an option to delete the files on the disk, or just remove room Lightroom; choose to just remove from Lightroom). Let us know if that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 11.45.46.png

This shows the original folder with the first image in place.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 11.46.17.png

 This shows the second folder at the top of the folder list, with the three other images in it (They are all scans of the same 35mm slide to determine the best method after my photo scanner packed up - that another story!)

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 11.47.57.png

 This is the message I get when I started to do your suggestion of deleting the folder at the top.  Note the address in the dialog box refers to the folder in the correct place in the structure.  It would appear that the one at the top is a virtual copy - but it does not have the same contents as the one below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep,  use Show Parent Folder on the rogue 2023-03 March folder until they join up. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Michael J. Hoffman says, a look at the folders panel will help. 

Sometimes you need to use Show Parent Folder to force folders to join the structure correctly, then use Hide Parent Folder to go back (They're in the right click contect menu when clicking on a folder). 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea.  Just tried that, and it then showed the correct parent folder at the top of the list, so still not better off.  However, I then tried Update folder location of the same menu, navigated to the correct location cliked OK, and the top level folder vanished (including the three images in it). Trying to reimport those images off disk does not work - they appear in the imort dialog, but greyed out as they are already marked as being imported! (they are all junk anyway, but I would rather sort this out using junk than actual image I want to keep!)

So I commited the heinous crime of using MasOS Finder to remove those images from the folder and put them on the desktop. Then I tried to reimport them into the correct folder, and they then appeared back again at the top level, and not the folder I specified.  So the problem lies in the Import function, but I am no further forward!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to keep doing the Show Parent Folder until they merge correctly. Then use Hide Parent if necessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Tried re-importing again, same thing happened. Definition of madness? Doing the same thing over again, and expecting (hoping) for a different outcome!

Tried the Showing Parent Folder repeatedly, got back to the main Library folder, no change.  Tried Synchronising Folder - just a pling and no change.  Now it wont even hide Parent Folder.

I have tried closing and reopening LR - no change.  I think I am almost at the stage of uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling won't help. Hide Parent only works on top level folders. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks very much like the 'capitalization error'. Here's the explanation and how to fix it: 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/capitalization-catalog-error/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan - looks like this is the cause...

But when I get to step 5, I cannot Update Folder Location since LR only goes up to Mackintosh HD, and does not list any external drive (I have two).  Looking at CapsFix in Finder, it is empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carefully read the instructions. I think you do not fully understand how this works, and it sounds like perhaps you skipped one step. The CapsFix folder should be empty in the Finder. You are not moving any images into it, you just temporarily relink the subborn folder to it, so you can then relink it again and this time to the proper location. When you relink the stubborn folder to the CapsFix folder in step 3, this folder will appear in the folder panel. If it's on  an external disk, then that disk will show as a separate disk (probably all the way to the bottom, not visible in your screenshot).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Johan. Yes, I did realise that CapsFix should be empty, but I could not find the external disc in LR.  After your post I did, way down the bottom as you suggest! oops! And yes, it did work, of course.  Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines