• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR smart previews AND previews

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am low on diskspace on my mbp. I do not store the actual photos on this travel computer, but I do use the Lightroom smart previews [which I occassionally update for my desktop work computer] to send out, and like that I can edit them on the mbp. But previews take up 46GB and smart previews are 66GB. Can I eliminate the 'dumb' previews or somehow manipulate them so they take up less space?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can delete the  previews to regain space, BUT they will get recreated next time you open the catalog. This is something users with multiple catalogs can use effectively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can alter the standard preview size, use a smaller suze.

Tyicaly degaults to Auto (based on display)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'll try that. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What size do you recommend. Can i apply it it current all previews and how small can i go without being able to see detail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MACOS? So the automatic backups via the OS, are they out of controll?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually, i never back up LR on this computer since it is in essence a backup of my work desktop, which is triple backed up and has LOTS of disk space and XHDs. but good guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And  see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

(mostly about performance, some about space)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Previews are used by the Develop Module to do edits if Original image files are not available.

Preview files are used by the Library Module to display images.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines