LR Super Slow

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. My LR is going so incredibly slow. Ive gotten a new, updated computer (macbook air) thinking it was that, no change. Switched from a hard drive to SSD thinking it was that, nothing. All my adobe apps are up to date. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both LR and PS and i still cant figure it out. I'm a photographer and its killingggg my workflow. Please help! 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of MacBook Air (i.e. processor)?

What size of internal disk?

How much space on the internal disk?

What version of macOS?

What version of Lightroom Classic are you using (i.e. see System Info under help menu for details)?

Where are photos stored (i.e. internal or external disk)?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adding to @Ian Lyons list of questions

What camera? Raw or JPG?

Lightroom (Lr icon) or Lightroom Classic (LrC icon)? What version NUMBER of Lightroom or Lightroom Classic?

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, WHAT ACTIONS IN LIGHTROOM CLASSIC ARE SLOW?

I realize that is a lot of questions, but you will help yourself get faster and more relevant answers if you answer ALL of these questions (not one or two or three of the questions, but ALL)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera - Sony a7riv

RAW files (extremely large files)

LRC v11.1

Literally every action is slow. It takes a solid 10 seconds for any healing or cloning to work. Adjusting any sort of color takes anywhre from 3-4 seconds per action and its CRIPPLING my workflow. Crop tool doesnt even show the image for a solid 5 seconds after I've pressed it. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

copy and pasted from my system preferences bc I have no clue about any of that and im not sure which answers it is youre looking for lol 

Free: 17.29 GB (17,293,516,800 bytes)

Capacity: 499.96 GB (499,963,174,912 bytes)

Model Name: MacBook Air

Model Identifier: MacBookAir9,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 1.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 512 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

I'm using LrC V11.1

My photos are stored on an external SSD

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is your problem " 

Free: 17.29 GB (17,293,516,800 bytes)

Capacity: 499.96 GB (499,963,174,912 bytes)"

The free space on your main system drive represents 3.45% of the total drive capacity and you need at least 20% for efficient operation.

If the folder that contains your Catalog file and support data files including preview files. By default that folder is named Lightroom and it is a sub folder in your user Pictures folder.
You could move the folder ( Lightroom) to the external disk where your image files are stored provided there is sufficient space on that drive. Hopefully that would free up sufficient space on the system drive.

Also update the LrC application to version 11.2

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.6.5,; LrC 11.3.1, Lr 5.3, Ps 23.3.2-ACR 14.3,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 

I keep trying to clear stuff off my computer but whenever I go to my documents and files it shows that there's literally like nothing on my computer. All my professional images live on my external and I dont have any other apps (other than the ones that come w macs) other than LrC and Ps installed. My catalogs are all stored on my SSD as well 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saying the Lightroom sub folder from the Pictures folder in your user account on the internal disk has already been moved to the external SSD?

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.6.5,; LrC 11.3.1, Lr 5.3, Ps 23.3.2-ACR 14.3,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an example, my Lightroom Application has 52,253 image files imported. The Lightroom sub-folder located on my HDD at C:/ USERS/"myuser a/c"/Pictures/Lightroom.

The Lightroom folder contains my Catalog File which has an Extention .lrcat and several support data files including the Preview files. Note the Catalog file is a data file and does not contain image files. The size of the Lightroom sub-folder is 113.38 GB. See the screen capture of what is contained in the folder.

Screenshot 2022-03-24 at 1.59.58 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. I don't have a lightroom subfolder on my laptop anymore. 

Strange because I just went to my "about this mac" and it shows I have different availability than what its showing me in my system information. Please see the attached photoScreen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.24.34 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines