LR won't show all photos

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR has started only showing images in my library that have been starred, and not the rest in the folder(s). If I try to Import from the folder(s), all the other images grey-out like LR already has them (as it should). But I have "Filters Off" set in the toolbar so all images should be showing, but they are not, only starred images from previous edits.

I have deleted the "XXXXXX Previews.lrdata" file to force LR to rebuild all previews, to no avail.

I have looked everywhere for some setting that would be preventing me from seeing all images in LR for all folders. LR clearly has the images already (they are greyed out when attempting to re-import).

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off stacking

Photos->Stacking->Expand All Stacks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, but this unfortunately did not reveal the 'missing' photos.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the version # of Lightroom?

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I am running LR 11.0.1, which I think is the latest release.

I have included some screen shots showing:

1) version

2) All filters off

3) Only 1 photo showing

4) LR declaring it already has photos from the target folder (even though only showing 1)

/timothy

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of us will not download attachments; it would be better to include screen captures in your reply by clicking on the 'Insert Photos' icon.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I have "Filters Off" set in the toolbar so all images should be showing, but they are not, only starred images from previous edits.

When you say "all images should be showing", are you looking in the "All Photographs" portion of LrC, or elsewhere? What happens if you look in "All photographs", turn off filters, expand all stacks and then search by file name?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion @dj_paige .

So, the folder hierarchy in one example is 2021 > Down East 2021 > Cheticamp

1) LR shows only one photo (I will insert photos as suggested to show this)

2) If I do as suggested and go to "All Photos" and search by a photo that *should* be showing up (eg "_DSC8028") but is not showing in > Cheticamp, I can see the photo in All Photos. If I try to drag that photo to the 'Cheticamp' folder in the LR nav on the left, I get an alert that the photo already exists in the destination (screenshot sent for this as well here).

3) So, LR already 'owns' the missing photos (which I do not 'keep' in LR, but resident on the drive where stored) and is aware of them, but just not showing them in the GUI for some reason.

LR version.pngLR filters off.pngLR already contains.pngLR only showing 1.pngFile Already exists at destination.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have since discovered that the 'missing' photos are not just starred photos. There are missing photos in folders that were not starred previous to this issue.

Is there an upper limit to the number of images in a LR catalog? I currently have 450,000+ images in my catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I do as suggested and go to "All Photos" and search by a photo that *should* be showing up (eg "_DSC8028") but is not showing in > Cheticamp

Yes, this means you accidentally imported the photo into a different folder. You probably wanted to select ADD on import, but you accidentally selected COPY.

If I try to drag that photo to the 'Cheticamp' folder in the LR nav on the left, I get an alert that the photo already exists in the destination (screenshot sent for this as well here).

Yes, because in your operating system, there is one version of this file in Cheticamp, and another version somewhere else that Lightroom Classic created when you accidentally imported via COPY. Lightroom Classic only knows about this copied file; it does not know about the original in Cheticamp, so that's why it doesn't show the original in Cheticamp. Lightroom Classic is not a file browser like Windows Explorer or Mac Finder.

If you want this photo to show up in Cheticamp inside LrC, you will have to perform the following steps:

1. Using your operating system, delete or remove the photo from Cheticamp.
  2. In Lightroom Classic, drag the photo from "All Photos" to the Cheticamp folder.

Please try this with one photo to see if it works. If it works, then you can do the same on all photos that are not showing in LrC in Cheticamp in one large bulk operation.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day and thank you for your response.

I should have made it clear that all photos were showing and available before now. The catalog just started behaving peculiarly like this one day when I opened it up.

I think the real answer here is to delete the catalog and just start over. All photos were properly imported initially (no accidental copy, move or similar mis-step). The catalog is just not showing images when it should - like it is ignoring no-filter or such.

I will just build a new catalog. Very disappointing.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the real answer here is to delete the catalog and just start over.

I disagree completely. The solution is to fix the existing catalog. Deleting the catalog will cause you to lose information that is stored in the catalog and nowhere else.

All photos were properly imported initially (no accidental copy, move or similar mis-step).

I disagree. The evidence you have provided indicates otherwise. When you found one of the photos in the "All Photographs" part of LrC, right click on it and select SHOW IN FINDER (Mac) or SHOW IN EXPLORER (Windows) and it will show you a copy of the photo in a different folder than the one you think it is in.

The catalog is just not showing images when it should - like it is ignoring no-filter or such.

I disagree. The Lightroom Classic catalog is NOT A FILE BROWSER. It should NOT be showing all the photos in a folder.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wouldn't give up on the old catalog yet.  I'd start by creating a new catalog, but just for testing purposes right now.  Use that new catalog to import everything from one of the folders you're seeing the problem with.  Then compare what you've got in LrC to what you see in Finder.  If they're the same, that will at least tell you that the files & permissions are probably ok and the issue is most likely with the old catalog.

Where to go from there would depend on your catalog backups.  If you have a backup from shortly before the problem started, you could restore to that point.  If not, you're stuck troubleshooting/fixing the existing one.

@dj_paige has given tips to see if you have duplicates that are confusing LrC & how to fix that issue.  Only you can determine if you've actually got some rogue dupes out there, but the troubleshooting steps he's telling you are valid and I'd recommend doing some of that digging before abandoning a 450K image catalog.

Next, have you run a catalog optimization recently?  If not, you may want to try that.

Lastly, there's a long standing case sensitivity problem that you could check on.  If you do a Google search on "Lightroom capitalization error", you should be able to find lots of posts about the symptoms and resolution.  I'm not sure that's what you've got going on here, but it may be worth a look.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Save time with Adobe Express quick actions