• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR3 Slow Rendering

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought id post this up.. see if anyone else is having probs.. everytime i make an image adj, esp in the basic tab the image only fully renders if i zoom into it.. this is getting on my nerves now.. and also they seem to have removed the really close magnification on the zoom.. another feature missed for me.

PLSPLSPLS Adobe...

Continual rendering or atleast the option..

And the super zoom back.

Aaaaathankingyou.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 124 Replies 124
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am experiencing this problem too and I'm on a Vista PC.  It was working fine With LR3 Beta 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same problem.

There are many instances where LR3 seems much slower than LR2. This is especially noticeable on a 2.4GHz with 4Gb (3Gb addressable) on 32-bit OS laptop that I use. I suspect it has something to do with the RAM intensive nature of both LR3 and CS5. On the above config, the only way that it's tolerable for me to work in LR3 and CS5 is to shut down all other programs--including Firefox and/or IE. Otherwise, plug-ins in CS5 complain about insufficient memory, and some, like Nik will simply crash CS5.

[soapbox=on] Why is it that people who don't experience a similar problem jump to the conclusion that it isn't a bug? It seems to happen a lot in this forum. There are so many variables--if you're not experiencing it, great. Just report that. But just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist. [soapbox=off]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite the title of this thread, it really isn't about slow rendering.  The bug that the OP, myself and others are seeing is that the detail never renders, no matter how long you wait.  It only renders if you zoom in to 100%.

Selby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it too. The image remains slightly fuzzy after changing any

slider only to become more clear after zooming in and out. You'll see

a sharpening-like step being applied maybe a second after you zoom

out. It should do the same thing after you release a slider (to save

some speed during the operation it makes sense to not do this extra

step while you're manipulating a slider) but it doesn't. Looks like a

bug to me. I don't experience the jaggedness that some people here

refer to though just an image that hasn't been sharpened at the screen

size so perhaps there is another issue too? The sharpening at screen

size in the Develop module is a new feature of LR3. In LR2 it would

simply always be slightly soft in Develop.

Maybe some screenshots would help. I'll whip some up to illustrate.

Perhaps the folks that see jaggies should do that too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jun 15, 2010
Re: LR3 Slow Rendering

Despite the title of this  thread, it really isn't about slow rendering.  The bug that the OP,  myself and others are seeing is that the detail never renders, no matter  how long you wait.  It only renders if you zoom in to 100%.

Selby

haha comon man thats a really anal answer.. i didnt even know how to describe what i was seeing at the time, when i apply NR and sharpening it does render (just to try and out do your answer ).. atleast people can finally agree its a problem, wow im a LR tester now.. i dont understand how others couldnt see it, what u editin on a 13" mac book lol?

im actually getting used to it now.. im sure once they fix the bug il miss it.

ADOBE.. SORT IT.... please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your tone is entirely inappropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could it be perhaps there are multiple bugs? rather than saying it is the same

bug?

The thing I find surprising (and a little shocking) is that as far as rendering is concerned, LR should mirror ACR.  Hell they're the same company "Adobe", and Lightroom 3 (.0), as far as rendering goes, is a wrapper around ACR 6.1, or should be.  If you have access to Photoshop CS5 and can right click an image in LR3 and open as smart object in PS, then double clicking in PS brings up the ACR 6.1 plugin dialog, which writes to the same XMP file. (you don't need to save the PS document .. you can just use this to test the rendering speed) .. anyway, ACR 6.1 flies like the wind (compared with LR3).

What I don't get is (as far as rendering perfection/speed is concerned).. why they got it right in ACR6.1 and not in Lightroom, and yet there is this argument that it is somehow a local issue.. and not everyone has this problem .. blah blah... I haven't seen too much actual feedback on these forums from the developers or their support people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 31, 2010 Jul 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pgmartphoto wrote:

What I don't get is (as far as rendering perfection/speed is concerned).. why they got it right in ACR6.1 and not in Lightroom, ...

I think the reason is that while LR uses the same ACR code, there are still choices as to how the results from ACR are used. In LR1 (beta?), for example, ACR was always asked to render the full image, regardless of whether only part of it or a lower res version was needed. This made LR 1 (beta?) a lot slower than ACR.

Apparently, there are still some suboptimal choices made in LR3 regarding how they use the ACR code; or the choices are good ones but the implementation is buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here is a little graphic to illustrate. The labels make it self explanatory. You'll have top click on the graphic to see what is going on. This is a detail from screenshots from my 30" display with Lightroom in Full screen mode. I am using the develop mode and only touched the exposure slider, bringing it back very close to the original value (it went from +0.42 to +0.45, which is caused by the coarseness of the sliders). After that, you'll see that the display is a more fuzzy than the intial display. After zooming in and out to 100%, Lightroom rerenders the image more sharply and close to the original display right after going to Develop.

composite.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao - that's exactly what I'm seeing.  Is this happening only when you're in Fit or in other ratios?

Selby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selby,

this is strange indeed. It always happens when I am in Fit and in Fill

mode. In 1:4, 1:3, and 1:2, it also happens but not consistently.

Sometimes I see it getting updated with some sharpness and sometimes

it forgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao - so I tried it again this evening.  Now, using the same image, I can't get it to happen!  In Fit or anywhere else.  So there must be something else goig on here - perhaps the length of the Develop session, or the length of time LR has been up.  (Tonight I booted the machine and started LR).

But there is definitely a problem - unfortunately it does not appear at the moment to be 100% reproducible.  When it was happening, however, I had it 100% of the time in Fit.

Selby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... after I posted the last reply, I started to work on another image and after 5 or 10 minutes, the problem had returned - make a small change to clarity and the picture gets "fuzzy" until you zoom to 100%.  When you zoom back out to Fit, it's sharp again.

So, if at first you don't succeed in reproducing the problem, it appears that if you just keep working on something else, it will happen soon enough.

Selby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL wrote:

OK, here is a little graphic to illustrate. The labels make it self explanatory. You'll have top click on the graphic to see what is going on. This is a detail from screenshots from my 30" display with Lightroom in Full screen mode. I am using the develop mode and only touched the exposure slider, bringing it back very close to the original value (it went from +0.42 to +0.45, which is caused by the coarseness of the sliders). After that, you'll see that the display is a more fuzzy than the intial display. After zooming in and out to 100%, Lightroom rerenders the image more sharply and close to the original display right after going to Develop.

composite.jpg

This is definitely related to the 1920x1200 issues others have reported.  I have a dual monitor setup with 17" Macbook Pro and 24" Dell ULtrasharp.  I did some additional testing last night and found:

1.  If I move LR 3.0 to the 17inch display (1680x1050), it does not occur.

2.  If I take that scaled version of LR back to the 24" Dell it does not occur

3.  If I reduce the 24" screen resolution to 1600x1000 it does not occur

4.  If I leave the 24" at 1920x1200 but edit in "Fill" mode it does not occur

5.  Adjustment slider, e.g. Vibrance, in FIll mode show a slight delay vs. Fit mode

6.  If you adjust in "Fit" mode you do not have to zoom to 100%, simply alternating between Fit/Fill restores the full resolution, as does something like flicking "Tone Curve" on and off

7.  If you make and adjustment, e,g, Vibrance again, and double click the Vibrance label to reset to zero, resolution is likewise restored, however sliding the slider back to zero with the mouse does not help

8.  Adjustments such as Exposure, Recovery, and Blacks when using the Option (Mac)+Mouse to make adjustments (against black screen) do not cause it to happen, however, Option+Fill light causes it to happen simply as soon as you click on the slider, you do not need to even move it.

To answer Ian's question somewhat Camera image size doesn't seem to have a bearing.  It occurs on 7D RAW images as well as 6MB Fuji JPegs.  I'm sure there are more combinations that can be tested, but clearly seems tied to the screen resolution issue noted in other threads.

Jay S.

Message was edited by: JayS In CT    Another update.  Applying these same adjustments while in the Library mode while in FIT mode and using the right side panel does NOT result in the poorly rendered version seen in Develop mode.  Does this imply that the high resolution monitor issue is a Develop Mode issue?    Jay S.

Message was edited by: JayS In CT Another update.  This is not related to a 2010 Process issue it appears.  I turned 2003 back on for an image and the same distortion occurs and stays until some other action is taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2010 Jul 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL wrote:

composite.jpg

Jao / Si,

I may have stumbled upon something (which defies rationale) but I can now work in Develop mode in "fit" mode in 1920x1200 on my Dell 24" and not have the above condition occur (where the image doesn't resolve after an adjustment).

I put both the top module selection panel and the left presets panel in hide mode (dotted arrow), which actually makes the image larger..  LR is occupying the full screen, with the exception of the Develop panel being present.  I can make all adjustments and not have the issue as displayed in the middle above (as provided by Jao).  If I make either the top or left panels permanently open, I'm back to the issue where it goes fuzzy and stays that way.

It makes no sense..  All the other "temporary fixes" involve making the screen smaller.  Here the image is actually larger and the issue is gone.

Like I said, a bandaid, but hopefully helps.  I can work with both those panels becomming available when I need them instead of being permanent.

Jay S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL wrote:

composite.jpg

All,

Just heard from Dan Tull that they've been able to reproduce this now internally..  That's the good news, the "uncertain" news is he's not sure a fix will make a 3.2 final.  There is the necessary evaluation of impact to other code, etc.  He indicated his vote was to make it a high priority (Thanks Dan).  In the meantime, I am able to run in "Fit" mode and make adjustments and not have it get "stuck" by putting the top, bottom, and left side panels in hide mode, leaving the develop panel open.  Not sure why it works (1920x1200) but it does.

Jay S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem on 2 PC's. One is runnig Windows XP SP3 (3Go RAM), then other is running Windows 7 64 birs.

I hope LR 3.2 final release will fix this problem.

Click screen.jpg

Click here to see this picture (100% display)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem on W7 64bit /4GB RAM/ with my Nec 24'' 1920x1200, LR 3.2.Final version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SebaWolf_7 wrote:

I have this problem on W7 64bit /4GB RAM/ with my Nec 24'' 1920x1200, LR 3.2.Final version.

It has been reported formally to Adobe and has been reproduced..  No idea when a fix will be forthcoming.  For now I'm using the panel resizing and playing with the screen by turning various panels (like bottom and left) into hide mode as a work around.

Jay S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayS In CT wrote:

It has been reported formally to Adobe and has been reproduced.

Just curious, how do you know that it has been reproduced?

If I got such feedback, I'd be more active submitting bug reports. As it stands they just seem to disappear into a black hole. A couple of bugs I reported for 3.0 have been fixed in 3.2 but whether or not that had anything to do with my reports, I have no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TK2142 wrote:

JayS In CT wrote:

It has been reported formally to Adobe and has been reproduced.

Just curious, how do you know that it has been reproduced?

If I got such feedback, I'd be more active submitting bug reports. As it stands they just seem to disappear into a black hole. A couple of bugs I reported for 3.0 have been fixed in 3.2 but whether or not that had anything to do with my reports, I have no idea.

TK,

Just a couple of posts above...  Dan Tull had let me know they were able to reproduce it.  I did file a formal report of the bug though as well.

Jay S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2010 Oct 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have been lurking around this thread for a bit because I have this same issue on my 24' imac. I do not know if this could possibly be a piece of the puzzle to solve this issue, but I just was editing some photos in lightroom and was actually having a nice time (I know I know... very rare)  because I had my screen size just so to be able to skirt around this issue for now.  Then I had to jump into bridge to do a couple of things and when I came back the rendering issue flared up! I was seriously ticked and then thought what would happen if I closed bridge out and the issue stopped.  I know this is weird and I have no idea why having bridge open would have any impact on what lightroom does, but I thought I would just share my story.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem, windows 7 64 bit, 4gb ram, 1600x1200 monitor with lightroom 3 filling it.

It happens in th loupe mode too for me.

I expect it's happening for a lot of people and they don't realise it,  as you need to look quite carefully to see it, but when you do it just  looks like the photo is out of focus.

Didn't happen in LR2 on the same system. It's abug and needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same issues.  LR 3 is running like a pig on my system.  Nowhere near the speed of 2.7.  Frustrating.  I might actually swallow the loss and just re-install 2.7 .... something is defintely hogging the system resources with lr3 because 2.7 was night and day ... FASTER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 17, 2010 Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having just upgraded from LR 2.7, the speed of LR 2.7 adjustment brush, spot removal and general rendering is fresh in my mind.

LR3 is very slow in comparison, and appears to freeze on occaision when using the brush/spot tools.

To my mind, it is not a matter of slow machine (Vista x64, 6GB ram, quad 2.4GHz) or operating system issues.

LR 2.7 ran faster than this new LR3 on the same machine.

Not totally thrilled with my latest purchase.

- Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines