• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR5 Trial - Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction not working.

Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed LR5 final and upgraded my LR4 catalog. Output Sharpening does nothing when exporting. noise reduction doesn't work also, exportet jpej look awful. is this a trial limitation maybe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

This has been fixed in the Release Candidate of Lightroom 5.2, available now at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom5-2/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Also when I export from PSD.

Exported at 2048px long side, output sharpening works. Exported at 960px long site, 800px long side... no output sharpening visible.

In the previous versions, it was ok.

I'm also stuck: no going back to the previous versions, all catalogs are upgraded. Too bad... 

Lightroom version: 5.0 [907681]

Version: 10.8 [4]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3,4 GHz

Built-in memory: 32768,0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32768,0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 350,4 MB (1,0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 656,2 MB

Memory cache size: 183,1 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Displays: 1) 2560x1440

Application folder: /Applications

Library Path: /Users/hans/Pictures/Lightroom/Vrij Werk/Vrij Werk.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/hans/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) ColorChecker Passport

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) Leica Tether Plugin

7) Nikon Tether Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also stuck: no going back to the previous versions, all catalogs are upgraded. Too bad...

You're not stuck.

All your earlier catalogs remain in place, unchanged, if you want to use them in earlier versions of Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I forgot about that (although I hate going back to the beta, I love the other improvements in the final)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing these issues with LR5 beta, so something must have changed in LR5 final release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

beta was fine. final seems alot faster though but has these issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The output sharpening seems to start working at 1791px long side. At 1790px long side, the exported files are identical, no matter which output sharpening I select.

lr5sharpen.jpg

View the above image at 100% here: http://www.hansvaneijsden.nl/test/lr5sharpen.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank god adobe had a beta phase for LR....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, people I think we are missing the point here, at least for me.

I have a Canon Xti and Canon 7D in LR4 the Export on my images after applying NR and Sharpening work just fine and well, I have different Exports, but usually use 720 at the longest side and Export as a Full JPG and I allways, allways had perfect results in LR4.

Now in LR5 this doesn't work. You don't have to crop or do any onther changes in your images. Unless, of course that Adobe said so because they found out they just blew it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the bug should be easily fixed.. at least it worked in the beta....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, I just found out if I increment the size to 2048 it works just fine, but anything less than that and you are screw...

Model = Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi

Exposure Time = 1/15"

F Number = F2.8

ISO Speed Ratings = 1600

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS USM II

Handheld

_MG_9250-5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reported issue is confirmed. See the updated known issues http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/lightroom-5-now-available.html for some details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the update. Adobe, thanks for confirming!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all for your efforts in tracking down and reporting this issue. The bug was introduced via a late-in-the-cycle change to export performance and was unfortunately missed by our testing. We were able to reproduce the issue in-house, a bug was logged, and the fix will be in the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the next release.. mhm.. that normaly takes 3-4 month.

what about a hotfix adobe?

or do they expect we live with this for month?

i mean JPG export is important for some...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to sound ungrateful but this issue seems too big for regular "next release"..it's not like it's a glitch in UI or a beta support for a brand new camera, this could (will) affect output image quality for anyone exporting for web = everyone. And with the current Adobe "creative cloud popularity" I would not poke users already thinking about long term strategy and possible product switching..just sayin'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ungrateful..??

you PAY for it!! so you can EXPECT that it works.

this kind of behavior makes it so easy for companys to sell us buggy crap.

demand quality and voice your opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check out the growing list of "Known Issues" (http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/) you'll see that this is one buggy bit of software. I wish I'd waited for 5.1 because this version is starting to look a LOT like LR Beta 2 dressed up as a final release...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dlscape_photog wrote:

If you check out the growing list of "Known Issues" (http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/) you'll see that this is one buggy bit of software. I wish I'd waited for 5.1 because this version is starting to look a LOT like LR Beta 2 dressed up as a final release...

yep and i fear when people have to rent CC software adobe will take even more time to fix bugs.

imho the whole "more updates for CC user" stuff is nonsense. 

and there is no need for CC to offer more bugfixes or feature releases.

the online update we have right now would work just as fine.

it´s all marketing blahblah....

Known Issues

• Fullscreen Mode does not show the next image in your selection. This occurs only when you have selected a series of images before entering Fullscreen mode.
  • Video playback is not currently supported in Fullscreen mode.
  • There is no error message informing that offline photos and videos are not exported to slideshows.
  • The slide after a video clip is often not shown. This only occurs when using the Manual Slideshow feature.
  • Custom slideshow templates will default to 480×270 on export. This only impacts custom slideshow templates created in previous versions of Lightroom.
  • The slideshow appears as a black screen occasionally. This only occurs when a video file is chosen as the first slide.
  • Star ratings cannot be applied while previewing or viewing a Slideshow.
  • Deleting a book in the Book Module may occasionally cause another book to disappear.
  • XMP metadata changes are not automatically written to file when the original file is offline.
  • Canon cameras are not detected when using Tethered Capture in Windows 8. This only occurs on Windows 8.
  • Offline photos go missing from Lightroom when moving folder of images to a different volume.
  • GPS metadata on videos created on an Apple iPhone is not imported.
  • Basic metadata is not imported with video files. This only occurs when imported directly from the camera. As a workaround, please copy the files from camera to your harddrive and then import into Lightroom.
  • When utilizing the “Merge to HDR” feature with Photoshop, the resulting HDR image contains metadata from the last selected photo.
  • Photos adjusted using Process Version 2003 incorrectly display a “Post Crop Vignette: Paint Overlay” History step. Selecting a subsequent History State can reset existing settings that follow that state in the History panel. This reset cannot be undone, effectively deleting any settings that have been applied after the selected History State. This only occurs with images adjusted in PV2003.
  • Images exported at less than 1/3 of their original size may not retain Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings.

add to this that some of my video files are not recognized by LR since a point update.

a reported and confirmed bug (i think 18 month ago),... now we have LR 5 and the bug is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hamada2003 wrote:

and there is no need for CC to offer more bugfixes or feature releases.

the online update we have right now would work just as fine.

it´s all marketing blahblah....

I couldn't agree more.

Adobe is almost as bad as Apple for coming out with complete rubbish as reasons for doing something nobody wanted and blithely ignoring user outcry's. Their overseas pricing is one perfect example, ask them why they charge more for the same product in a different market (with the same language options) and you'll get some dodgy answer like "our prices are driven by market forces in those countries". Errr, no, the prices in those countries are dictated by you Adobe. If it was left to market forces we'd all be buying our software from the lowest price supplier in the USA, but you won't allow us to do that!

And as for CC products, don't try to make it sound all glossy and wonderful in the world of rented software by telling me I'll be updated more often, Adobe, you control the release of updates which means you can release them just as often using the existing online update as you can using CC, you simple choose not to in order to force me into renting. It's all about income and cash flow. Don't try to patronise me and butter it up.

Now go get working on LR5.1, I want to be able to use the $186 software package I purchased today sometime in the near future...

James.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I can wait until they release 5.1, what can I say this is not a perfect world and the world of IT it is far from perfect.

My only concern is the last one in the list and the reason of this POST, I'm not interested in posting my images on the WEB with an "improper" size just because I want to use the NR and Sharpening of LR5. My work around is to do the NR and the Sharpening with my Plug-Ins and then I do the Export of the PSD, that works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, talking about sharpening, the problem is.. output sharpening always comes last in chain. So, after exporting the PSD from LR5, you have to batch-sharpen all your exported files and resave them again. A lot of extra work with sometimes quite unpredictable results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a big fan of Batch processing, exactly for what you mention... "Unpredictable Results"  and hard to find in dozen of Photo. I rarely use Batch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are saying that Sharpening and NR done in Develop Module do not come thru when exporting jpgs smaller than 1/3 the longest original dimension?

Say I don't apply any sharpening or NR in Develop Module. Does this issue still apply when using Export presets and selecting Output Sharpening for Screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

color noise reduction is applied by default in lr and is essential for d800 files taken @ iso higher than ~400. not sure bout sharpening in develop mode, but we're here speaking about output sharpening in export dialogue which doesn't always work. for now i use another program to resize and sharpen my jpeg's. i export full size jpg from lr and then use acdsee's batch process. which sucks of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I compared several 5760x3840 pics that I exported to 1200x800 x 72ppi jpgs thru Export/Lightroom Preset/For Email(Hard Drive).

I used Output Sharpening/Sharpen for Screen/Standard.

I don't see any difference between the LR4 and LR5 jpgs.

In LR5 I also turned off Output Sharpening and the jpgs were softer than than with Output Sharpening on.

So for my workflow export sharpening in LR5 seems to be working ok. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines