• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC 10.3 crashes during image import

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC 10.3 on iMac Retina 5K 27in 2020 running MacOS Big Sur 11.4 crashes repeatedly during raw image import, usually during conversion of NEF to DNG. Not sure where to start determining cause. Crash reports are generated which go to Apple which is a one-way street, just feeds their statictics. Sometimes crash report is generated that goes to Adobe. There is an option to include email for contact from Adobe. No response from Adobe. Image files are stored on external drive via Thunderbolt connection. Anyone else encountering this behavior?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the Lightroom Classic preference file as described in Method 1 at https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

Thanks. I reset Lightroom preferences. No LrC crashes since, but also have not run an import yet. The opportunity to do so will arrive soon. Meanwhile, the iMac crashed twice last night in the couse of a Zoom session while screen sharing, not related to LrC or PS. ...disconcerting.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tecs at a Apple store?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you are clearly importing via Copy as DNG.

If you copy your images via Finder, outside of LrC, to the folder you desire, then in LrC, you import via ADD. How does that behave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try yoru suggested method with the next import. It needs to be a substatial import of perhaps a couple hundred images or more to be a real test. The destination folder is on an external HD via Thunderbolt connection. Initial drive access has always been slow, as though waking the drive bay from sleep mode (OWC Thunderbay 4).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you physically accomplishing the import?

• SD card in card reader
  • SD card in camera, camera connected via USB
  • SD card in camera, camera connected via WiFi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm importing from an XQD card via Sony XQD USB adapter connected to a USB3 port in an iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Asking for clarification: Is it just Lightroom Classic crashing, or does the whole computer freeze or shut down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The computer freezes, shuts down, restarts and usually generates a crash report sent to Apple. Occasionally a crash report is generated for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The computer freezes, shuts down, restarts and usually generates a crash report sent to Apple. Occasionally a crash report is generated for Adobe.

By @Michael McKeag

So it's not just Lightroom Classic crashing, as your original message seemed to indicate.

Computer crashing during Import is often a heat build-up problem in your computer, as the CPU is performing a lot of work, which creates a lot of heat, and if the cooling system is compromised (fan failing, or vents blocked, or other cooling system failures), this will cause the computer to crash. I would start by vaccuuming out the computer case, making sure all vents are clear and there is air flow (in other words, the vent is not up against some wall or barrier).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a new iMac so compromised cooling not likely, but large imports into LrC is the only processor-intensive task the iMac has been performing frequently. Sharing Terminal screen in Zoom session last night while executing Linux commands executing file searches just might have been processor workload comparable to raw file import, dng conversion, and preview generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a new iMac so compromised cooling not likely

I don't follow your point. Hardware problems can happen at any time, even in a new computer.

I seriously doubt file searches stress the CPU as much as importing RAW photos into LR and generating previews. Importing RAW photos into LrC is one of the most CPU intensive tasks that there is. During file searches, there is a lot of disk access, something not true of Importing photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I was referting to dust and lint build-up, inadequate air circulation, etc. Some internal hardware defect is certainly a possiblity. It will be a few days before I have a large import to stress test it with again. Will capture and find a way to share next crash report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes crash report is generated that goes to Adobe

Can you post a crash report?

Hmm, normally fellow members just detest and mistrust attachments. But crash reports get very long with lots of info of little use to us non geeks. Any members have advice? Efficient posting of crash report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps an alternative to posting crash report as attachment is posting Dropbox link to the crash report file. I might try that next time I get LrC to crash the iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since resetting LrC preferences I had not had an opportunity to run an image import of significant size until yesterday, an import of 130 images. The import proceeded normally. These were images from a Nikon Z50; smaller raw files than from the D850 I most frequently use, so this was not as demanding an import. However, later in that session LrC crashed upon switching from Library to Map. This is the second context in which LrC crashes have occured. No crash report was generated on this occasion. Later on in the day during a TIFF export of about 20 images the process slowed, then stalled, then LrC crashed. A crash report was generated. I capured a screen shot (attached) before submitting the report to Apple. Perhapse someone will spot in the report a clue that will be informative. By the way, both import and export crashes seem to share similar circumstances, a processor-intensive process that slows, then stalls, then crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at that crash report, I see it is a MACOS generated report, and that the computer crashed.

A computer crashing as opposed to just LrC crashing is likely a  hardware or driver issue.

As Apple tightly controls drivers, to the point that most customers cannot replace drivers, and as Apple has a tight quality check on those drivers, it is more likely hardware.  As for hardware, first place to look is anything added, anything connected. After that, a visit to an Apple Store.

LrC, can also generate a crash report. That is what I was assuming you may have. If the Adobe crash report mentions a KERNEL Panic, then most likely hardware or driver related, and less likely driver on a MAC.

An additional note, LrC crashing, generally does not crash the computer. However, LrC uses a lot of resources, and can put a strain on a computer triggering a crash should some bit of hardware or driver be suspect.

note to other more qualified members, please correct me about that Apple controlled drivers bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some items to search on from that crash report

• panic cpu 0 caller
  • macos watchdog detected
  • 7a04d40f-4e77-350D-B90A-DBD2A19DB08D
  • shutdown cause: 0x5

Tip, you may want to include the wird lightroom in those searches, as in 

panic cpu 0 caller lightroom

heck, I just did that, and one community discussion comes up in the search, maybe not solved,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/kernel-panic-caused-when-using-develop-module-and-w...

note that the linked discussion includes a LrC crash report. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After a few searches on the search terms I reccomended, I have noticed that computer going to, or coming out if sleep, is a reoccuring issue.

Is your MAC allowed to sleep?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines