• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC always thinks duplicate photos have changed on import from another catalog

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On location, I import photos to LrC on my MacBook. Back home I import them into a master LrC catalog. Every time I do this—including back to back imports—LrC thinks the metadata and develop settings of previously-imported photos have changed.

Of course, LrC doesn't tell me which settings it thinks have changed.

This could use a fix.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you import them into a master catalog back home, are you importing the photo files again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have understood you correctly, you import into LR on a Macbook on location and then, import them again to a master catalog on another machine?

I do this all the time. However, when I return from the location, I do not re-import the photo files - which for me are on either an external drive or on the memory cards from the camera. Instead, I export as catalog, the catalog from the location shoot and have it on an external drive. THen I connect the external drive with that exxported catalog, then launch my master LR catalog on my main computer, and then "Import from another catalog" I direct LR to the exported catalog on my external drive, and import the location catalog. That gets all your edits from the location catalog into the master catalog. Of course I also point the Master Catalog to the location of the photo files themselves. Usually I "Copy" the photo files to my main storage drive , make sure everything is good, before I continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost exactly what I do, except I don't first export a catalog from the MacBook. From the Master, I import directly from the MacBook catalog, over the network, using "import from another catalog".

I have a personal rule to always keep digital images in two physical places. Thus, I don't erase the camera media until the images are on both the MacBook and the Master, and I don't delete them from the MacBook until they've been copied from the Master to a Shadow copy (for this I use unix commands). I don't do that step very often, so images tend to accumulate on the MacBook.

On subsequent imports from the MacBook to the Master, LrC recognizes it already has the images it's imported before; however, it always thinks their settings and metadata have changed. This is true even if the MacBook catalog hasn't been opened by LrC. As an experiment I did "import from another catalog" two successive times and, sure enough, the second time LrC insisted the settings and metadata had changed.

This seems like a defect to me. It is certainly an annoyance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

MAybe the settings of LR are different on the two machines? Just a thought - 

What settings and metadata are changed? or What type of message are you getting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. Clever thought, but it's the same LrC instance on my laptop, running with either the MacBook catalog or the one on the big external drive.

2. LrC won't tell me what settings/metadata it thinks have changed. Or perhaps it's more correct to say I don't know how to get it to tell me those things without enumerating them before and after.

3. Actually, it's very easy to replicate (and I'd appreciate if someone else would give it a try). Simply import twice from the same catalog. Second time you should see the behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines