Issue: LrC Export DNG (or Tiff) file(s) to Helicon Focus Plugin fails

• Lightroom Classic Version Number: 11.5
  • Camera Raw version number: 14.5
  • OS Version Number: MacOs 12.6

Steps to reproduce:

1. Select several images in the library module
  2. Go to Export -> Helicon Focus (DNG)

Expected result:

DNG files are created, Helicon Focus is launched, DNG files are read / processed by Helicon focus.

Actual result

DNG files are created in "private/var/folders/kg/T/...."

After the last file is created Helicon focus is launched.

As soon as Helicon Focus gets launched, all de DNG Files are deleted.

If the Helicon Focus app is deleted (so it won't start) the DNG files are still created upon export but are also deleted when LrC tries to launch Helicon Focus.

If I stop LrC before the last DNG file is created upon export, the DNG files do exist in the folder:"private/var/folders/kg/T/...."

So the DNG files are created as expected but deleted too early before Helicon Focus can handle them.

Did reset LrC settings, did reinstal LrC.  Same result.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Today I found a solution to the problem myself.

In the macOS temporary folder, which is the default folder for Helicon Exports, I created a new folder called 'HeliconFocus'.

Then in the Helicon Focus preferences under the setting 'Disk cache foler' I pointed to the new created folder.

And now it works like a charm!

If I set it back to the (original) temporary folder, the error returns.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, in the plugin manager, does the plugin in question show any error messages, does it indicate an update exists?

Maybe the plugin needs to be replaced, see:

https://www.heliconsoft.com/faq-helicon-focus/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.
I have had extensive contact with Heliconsoft. Tried even a special version with extended logging to resolve this issue.

Helicon focus is reporting that the DNG files are missing and that is correct because they are missing at the time Helicon Focus want to access the files.
It is clear that it is not Helicon Focus that is deleting the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same setup and everything works as expected for me. Does Lightroom have Full Disk Access? Apple changed the security requirements in MacOS Monterey. Go to MacOS 'System Settings - Security & Privacy' and add Lightroom Classic to "Full Disk Access". Click on the lock icon to unlock the settings, then click on the plus icon to add Lightroom Classic if it isn't already listed. If it is listed, then just enable the checkbox. Maybe add HeliconFocus too to be sure. See also Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

The Full Disk Acces was not assigned in the way that you decribe. So I dis that for LrC, Ps an HF as well.

Still the same result unfortunately. 

I am wondering how it should noramlly work... Who is it to delete the files if everything works as expected. Should it be LrC or HF or even maybe macOS?

If I stop LrC while exporting is still busy, then the files are there where they should be. In that "private/var/folders/kg...." folder. But when I the reboot my Mac the files are gone. So Who does delete them, at what point, and why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Private/var/..." is a MacOS system folder. I'm not sure if that is where the DNG files should go in the first place, and I can't check what happens on my system because I type this on my iPad. I know HeliconFocus works correctly on my system because I tried if very recently. I think this system folder is for temporary files, and in that case it's fine and it's MacOS that deletes them if they are no longer in use.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I found out that the folder where LrC export the DNG file is the macOS temp folder.

If I enter the command "echo $TMPDIR" in terminal it is returning the exact locatien where LrC exports its DNG files to. '/var/folders/kg/_0f14sr140nd4v16kr2srkww0000gn/T/'

Helicon Focus is returning an error: Load image error: No such file or directory '

/var/folders/kg/_0f14sr140nd4v16kr2srkww0000gn/T/.....'

which is the correct macOS temporary folder and the DNG files where there but disappeared just before HF is launched.

Pieter Noordzij

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I found a solution to the problem myself.

In the macOS temporary folder, which is the default folder for Helicon Exports, I created a new folder called 'HeliconFocus'.

Then in the Helicon Focus preferences under the setting 'Disk cache foler' I pointed to the new created folder.

And now it works like a charm!

If I set it back to the (original) temporary folder, the error returns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. If I check what folder is set, it is /var/folders/75/4pkf209m8xjbtb001s70xl600000gn/T/Helicon. So indeed, there is a subfolder by default.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Johan

That's interesting indeed. 
Anyway, thank you for your support and time. Very much appreciated. 

Pieter Noordzij

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines