• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC external editor preferences ignored

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic 11.0.1 I've set the file format preference for editing in Photoshop 2022 as PSD. However, when I "Edit in.. Adobe Photoshop 2022", the image DNG is copied and sent as a tif file to Photoshop. Am I missing something?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS, what version of ACR is listed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shows 14.0.1.952.

In LrC, it shows 14.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from a raw, the first time you use the "Edit in Photoshop" command?

The first time you use this command on raw, ACR is handed that raw and renders it, Photoshop opens with that image. It isn't in any file format as yet, you have to save it (and the title bar will show DNG if the original was a DNG). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

The tab title shows the full fine name and ".tif", which is what I've been used to. However, I wanted to switch to PSD for new images, and bumped into this problem.

I understood that PS receives a converted raw file via ACR, as it doesn't direclty handle raw files. I assumed the preferences setting tells PS what format of file to return to LrC, though I might be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd, I just tried this with a DNG (converted from raw), it opened and showed the file name (with DNG appended). Then of course I can save it as a TIFF or PSD etc. 

What I didn't do was Save. My bad. My preferences are set for TIFF. When I did a save, it was indeed a TIFF inside of LR. 

I changed my Lightroom Classic preferences for PSD, opened another raw (DNG), did an edit, saved: Got a PSD. 

So something is odd on your end. You might try resetting your LR  preferences and try again:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html 

FWIW, if you want to go there, it is a lot 'safer' to stick with an openly documented file format like TIFF, which can handle virtually everything a PSD can. About the only need for PSD if if you're using InDesign which for some odd reason, that team seems to let PSD do a few things TIFF can't do directly in that application. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely something different with my setup. I've bounced the preferences back and forward with no change.

Also, you've hit the nail on the head - these images are destined for an InDesign book. It's a second edition, and I had problems first time round when I didn't use PSD. I guess I'll end up saving out of PS as PSD for the book, but I'd prefer that the processed images were managed under LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, something else that doesn't seem right. I don't seem to have Camera Raw as an app I can open on my MacBook. When I open up the CC management app from the menubar, it shows that it's "Up to date" but there's no "Open" button or three dots menu to access other functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Camera Raw is a Plugin for PS, it requires Photoshop for it to function.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sammc007 wrote:

OK, something else that doesn't seem right. I don't seem to have Camera Raw as an app I can open on my MacBook. When I open up the CC management app from the menubar, it shows that it's "Up to date" but there's no "Open" button or three dots menu to access other functions.

ACR is a plug in that Photoshop hosts. And Bridge. 

In Photoshop, you can go "About...  and select Camera Raw to find the version. 

You might go here and see if your version and the latest are in sync:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three reasons why the document title seen in PS would show a TIFF (or a PSD) file type right from the start, even before any saving by PS. Both refer to a workflow which bypasses ACR.

The first reason, is that a version incompatibility between ACR and LrC means that LrC is not 'confident' that ACR can be relied on to render the file plus adjustments into a bitmap fully as intended. There may be a prompt allowing to proceed via ACR regardless, but failing that it will be LrC that renders and saves to disk a new TIFF / PSD, and auto-imports this too. This is all done before PS sees anything - having been instructed to load in an already saved file.

The second reason, is that an external-editing preset has been defined in LrC, additional to the default Photoshop one, and then this preset has been chosen by name from the Edit In... submenu or context menu. Each preset is configured for the desired bit depth, colourspace, immediately saved filetype, also what program (not just Photoshop, could be something else) is to then be invoked to edit that.

Only the main default (Photoshop) Edit In.. as auto detected by LrC / edit as Smart Object / merge to PS HDR / merge to PS Pano / open As Layers, subcontract the job of rendering image(s) to ACR and then opens results as an as-yet unsaved image document. The underlying source file that LrC has used, e.g. DNG, may be reported pending a "real" filename being established at the first Save.

The third reason, is that the starting image which has been sent for external editing, was already itself the result of some previous external editing, in other words, was already a PSD (or TIFF). One can choose "Edit Original as Copy" and a new independently named version will be first saved to disk and imported to LrC, then opened into PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really helpful and clear explanation.

This is a newly imported DNG, first trip to PS.

I used the Edit in... Adobe Photoshop 2022 option. (Although another editor is set up in preferences as well.)

In the past I've seen occasionally a dialog box poiting out that ACR is an incompatible version with Lr, and offering (I think, from memory) to have Lr do the conversion. I don't see that any more, but perhaps the choice is now out of the user's hands and happens in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems to be fixed.

I editied the preferences for the secondary editor (Analog fx Pro 2 in my case), to change the format from tiff to PSD. I then sent another, new, DNG to Edit in Photoshop. This time, the tab title showed it as a DNG. Saving, it changed to PSD and the file is a PSD back in LrC. I reverted the setting back to tiff (even though I'm not using that editor at any point in all of this), tried again, and the correct behaviour persisted.

So I'm not sure if there was a bug where the secondary editor prefs were intiially being used, but now it's working correctly, or what. But either way it's all good now.

Many thanks for input and suggestions to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines