• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC from the beginning

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fave been using PSE for more than 10 years and decided to move on to LrC. I recently loaded Lightroom Classic and took a shot at loading my portfolio and began the learning curve using LrC10 just as LrC was rolled out.  But was not pleased with the results + my old computer began to act wonky in lots of ways.  The backups would not work and I was getting frustrated.

SO, I am making a fresh start and buying a new Windows 11 Computer. Instead of the complicated moving procedure to get everything in order I am contemplating loading LrC 11.0.1 and update with nothing CC in my new computer. I am already on a sbscription so do I just go to the CC Icon and move on from there or do I need to contact Adobe and get a new Icon. I spent a lot of time assuring the my portfolio of 3500 travel images are correct and would load clean into and create a NEW virgin LcR Catalog . Can this work and if so HOW?

I would appreciate your advice to get me re-focused - looking forward to traveling again.

H Barrison
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

i am contemplating loading LrC 11.0.1 and update with nothing CC in my new computer.

You can't install LrC without the Adobe Creative Cloud Application. The Adobe Creative Cloud application must be installed first.

But a new computer will not solve your problems. Following the proper procedure will solve your problems. See below.

I am already on a sbscription so do I just go to the CC Icon and move on from there or do I need to contact Adobe and get a new Icon.

Subscription to what? If it is th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am contemplating loading LrC 11.0.1 and update with nothing CC in my new computer.

You can't install LrC without the Adobe Creative Cloud Application. The Adobe Creative Cloud application must be installed first.

But a new computer will not solve your problems. Following the proper procedure will solve your problems. See below.

I am already on a sbscription so do I just go to the CC Icon and move on from there or do I need to contact Adobe and get a new Icon.

Subscription to what? If it is the Photography Plan (and not any other plan and not the Lightroom Plan) you use the Adobe Creative Cloud Application to Install Lightroom Classic 11.0.1.

I spent a lot of time assuring the my portfolio of 3500 travel images are correct and would load clean into and create a NEW virgin LcR Catalog

On the new computer, you need to make sure that your Photoshop Elements catalog is working properly. Then you need to launch LrC, and then import the Photoshop Elements catalog following these instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/import-photos-various-sources.html

(Alternative: work with the Photoshop Elements catalog on the old computer, install LrC 11.0.1 on the old computer and then import the Photoshop Elements catalog)

That should be all you need to do. Do not make this more complicated, and do not add in other steps that are not mentioned. As stated, a new computer is not required to make this work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really got to the bottom line and your advice what I needed - Thanks so much 🙂

H Barrison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to take it in the other direction? When I depart this planet in a few months, my survivors will have neither the skills or the need to keep up with the CC subscriptions. Elements will be more than sufficient for their needs going forward. But, I'd like for them to benefit from the keywords, people recognition, meta data & etc. How and to what degree can I expect to get the cataloged moved from LRC to PSE while I'm still around to tend to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Freewheeler.Ken 

There is no automated way to turn an LrC catalog into a PSE Organizer catalog.

Lightroom Classic can write the keywords, metadata, etc. to the photo files (or sidecar if the original is a RAW), and every photographic program that I know of, and even your operating system, can search for these keywords and metadata.

If you want your edits to be available, then EXPORT the photos.

I am skeptical the either PSE or LrC will be sufficient for your survivors or usable, especially if they have no background using photographic software. Perhaps they don't even need that, they just need the exported photos in some sort of nice neat folder structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, all they need is an organized stucture containing the photos. However, they should also retain access to keywords, person names, events and etc.

I cut my teeth with Photoshop when getting cold roped into teaching Elements on cruise ships in 2008. Had to learn and teach it on the fly. Though it has certainly evolved, I haven't messed with PSE for ages. It does/did have a decent "catalog" feature that I thought might be convenient for the survivors. I guess I'lljust D/L the trial, experiment and go from there.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree wth DJ, Ken - you want to leave images (and the memories they contain) behind, not a chore and an obligaton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.  I have not any editing so I would not be hurting any photos -  I am really only in the beging of learning the ropes.

H Barrison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.  I have not any editing so I would not be hurting any photos -  I am really only in the beging of learning the ropes.

By @hbarrison

Thanks. Please mark MY response correct, not your repsonse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @hbarrison,

While Adobe Portfolio does not have its own community forum, there is a rather extensive FAQ & Knowledgebase as well as a dedicated Portfolio Support team to assist users with technical matters. Portfolio on Adobe UserVoice is for posting feedback and feature requests. See links below.
- FAQ & Knowledgebase - https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us
- Contact Portfolio Support Team - https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=177168
- Adobe UserVoice - https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

Hope that helps. 😇

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines