• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC is not starting (unrelated to metrics.json bug)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear @Rikk Flohr: Photography 

As requested by you, here I am making a new post with the ever persistent issue of LrC not launching despite the recent update/supposed bug fix.

-LrC is up-to-date (12.3)

-Adobe Creative Cloud is up-to-date (5.10.0.573)

-MacOS is up-to-date (13.3.1)

I am not running LR (Cloud based) so there cannot be any interference there. LrC has all the rights required in terms of folder/disk access and reading/writing.

Once the program is launched, it can only be forced to close, closing it normally does not work.

As previously mentioned, I had taken this up with Apple Support and they ensured me my device is functioning nominally and the issue is on the side of Adobe.

Kindly look into this as this is clearly not a single case, as can be seen in the other thread with many people having the same issue still.

Attached once again the screenshot of what it looks like when I try to launch the app.

Sincerely, 

a very frustrated Customer.

Thanks.

Bildschirm_foto 2023-04-16 um 22.17.55.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

I've actually managed to fix it, by pure luck... Running the following Terminal commands seems to have reset something which in turn now fixed the issue:

sudo chown -R username :staff ~/Library

sudo chmod -R 700 ~/Library

I have no idea what this did but it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography : as suggested by you I am hopping on the same new thread as I seem to have the same problem as @NiklasHH . My Apple is up to date (I'm running it on Ventura 13.3.1.), I have duly updated on LrC 12.3. and all my other Adobe products are running perfectly. As described before when I try to launch LrC, the start screen flashes up for a split second and then disappears. That's then end of it. I can try as much as I want but nothing else would happen. I can't attach a screenshot because I do not get any error messages. If you need me to search a specific detail let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, log onto your computer using a different computer user account (you might need to create one)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another Mac user account (you should make a new one); still not starting? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting*), still not starting? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still not starting? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

* How to start your M1/M2 Mac in Safe Mode
On your Mac, choose Apple menu () > Shut Down.
After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds.
Press and hold the power button until the startup disks and Options appear.
Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Safe mode does nothing. If I set up a new user account it will work however this is not a solution in my opinion as I will not switch users every time just to use Lightroom.

Neither is running some utility software. If Lightroom were freeware, sure. But not with something I pay an obscene amount of money for every month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Safe mode does nothing. If I set up a new user account it will work however this is not a solution in my opinion as I will not switch users every time just to use Lightroom.

By @NiklasHH

So here's the tricky part. Since it doesn't crash as a new user, a conflict with something in the original (Admin?) user is making it crash. The hard part is figuring out what that is. The first task is to disable all auto log-in items in Users and Groups>Login Items in your System preferences (System Settings in Ventura). You can make a screen capture or jot down what each item is, disable, restart, and try again. If it doesn't crash, you can add one or more items, restart and try again. At some point, you may find which item is at issue. It isn't easy, but that's really the fix unless you do a clean install of the OS, which might be more work. 
The bottom line is that something in your user account is conflicting with the Adobe software. Have to find out what that item is. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now it's getting interesting! Auto Log-In has no items, it's completely empty. So the question is, what else could it be? I've tried disabling FireVault but that made no difference either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now it's getting interesting! Auto Log-In has no items, it's completely empty. So the question is, what else could it be? I've tried disabling FireVault but that made no difference either.

By @NiklasHH

Something is loading and conflicting. Short of a clean OS install, you can go into Activity Monitor and view what's running along with Lightroom Classic and, like the Log In suggestion, force quit items to find out what is running that is causing this crash. 

The other thing is to get the crash log and send it to Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually managed to fix it, by pure luck... Running the following Terminal commands seems to have reset something which in turn now fixed the issue:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @NiklasHH

That appears to be some permission fix. 

This is, again why you might want something like Onyx or a similar application that can run such fixes instead of dealing with Terminal. Disk Utility should do this kind of fix too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @NiklasHH

That would be #6 in the link below

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-unexpected-behavior-user-account.html  )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point of using a different user account is not to fix, not a workaround, but to test.

Next step as follows:

Account/user rights issue indicated by logging on as other user

See:

(ref 1): Troubleshoot unexpected behavior in specific user account | Adobe

Document referenced above includes possible solutions:

For MACOS

1. Grant read-write permissions on appropriate folders.
    2. Re-create the Adobe application's account-specific preferences files.
    3. Troubleshoot account-specific fonts.
    4. Delete account-specific Adobe cache files.
    5. Troubleshoot account-specific login items.
    6. Reset the access settings on the user account's Library folder. (looks like this one was it)
    7. Repair the startup disk.
    8. Use a new user account.

For WIN OS

1. Grant read-write permissions on appropriate folders.
    2. Re-create the Adobe application's account-specific preferences files.
    3. Delete account-specific temporary files.
    4. Troubleshoot account-specific startup items.
    5. Reset the access settings on the account-specific application data folders.
    6. Re-create the account-specific Adobe key in the Windows registry.
    7. Repair the system hard drive.
    8. Use a new user account.

and, perhaps:

(ref 2): Basic troubleshooting steps to fix issues in Lightroom Classic | Adobe

Document referenced above includes:

• Reset the preference file
    • Install latest LrC version
    • Install OS updates
    • Troubleshoot user account permissions
    • Setup a new Admin user account
    • Start in Safe Mode to troubleshoot

Note, for additional information on resetting the preferences file, see (ref 3)

(ref 3): https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, that's all fine but I'm a photographer and simple user, not a computer nerd. I have no idea even where to start to do all this workarounds. I just want a working software just as it did without any problems until 10 days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, that's all fine but I'm a photographer and simple user, not a computer nerd. I have no idea even where to start to do all this workarounds. I just want a working software just as it did without any problems until 10 days ago.

By @Ana Martinez

Advise that you post your own discussion.

When you do, provide exactly what is occurring, what you have attempted, the exact LrC version, your OS, your RAM. your VRAM, your GPU make/model, and your GPU driver version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm "just a photographer, " but you must pay attention to utilities to occasionally fix issues on your tool(s)/computer.

The OP's issue is fixed; specifically, what is your issue, system, version of software etc? Start a new, clean post here with all the details. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines