• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LRC not launching - tried everything (?)

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC just launches as a memory hog process and not splash screen appears.

Tried:

- Updated Nvidia drivers

- Alt/Shift clear preference trick

- Hiding catalogue in subfolder and forcing "default catalogue"

- Installed same, earlier (and much earlier) versions of LRC multiple times over

- Booting to Windows safe mode

- Logging out and in of Creative cloud

- Moved LRcat to another drive etc

- checked system resources - all ok (including disk space etc).

It really seems to have something to do with tring to open any LRcat catalogue. I occasionaly get to 'catalogue needs be upgraded' dialogue box but this just hangs as a non-responding process.

At no point using all of these technique have I even got as far as a running program.

All this just happened out of nowhere. One minute running, next nada

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Ok, I think I've figured it out. Clearly the most recent and active lrcat was corrupted. Problem was when I clicked on another (older catalogue) or hid the active catalogue or tried any trick to force it to open another catalogue it still tried to open the corrupted and most recent catalogue as directed by the value:

"libraryToLoad20" = path,..

in the config file "Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs" located in:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\PreferencesLightroom Classic C

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload a copy of your 'System Info'. You can obtain same from the LrC Help > System menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

If Lightroom doesn't start correctly the please see "Solution 2" in the document behind the link below.

Troubleshoot GPU issues | Lightroom Classic (adobe.com)

Another step is to try to reset the Lightroom preferences.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

It's recommended to backup your preferences before you reset the preferences to the default settings:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

If this doesn't help we need more informations about your environment.

Which operating system do you use?

Which version of Lightroom do you use?

Please post the exact version and not only phrases as "recent", "latest" and so on.

Please provide also a copy of your 'System Info'. This can be get from the LrC Help > System Info menu item. There's a copy button in the System Info dialog. Press this button and paste the info into your next forum post.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Couldn't start to disable graphics card by starting LRC so used solution 2 to alter startup preferences to autobahn = off etc. No difference

2) Have already started LRC clearing preferences (alt/shift etc) - no difference

3) win10 , current version tried and all the way back with each incremental upgrade to LRC 11 by installing  via CC "other versions" - no difference

4)System info - Win 10 x64, i7-6700 3.40Mhz, Z170M-PLUS, 16GB ram, RTX 2070 Super Nvidia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the suggestions already posted, open Task Manager when this happens and see if you find LrC running under the 'Details' tab but not under the 'Process' tab. This happens to me with a number of programs, not just LrC, and seems to be a Windows bug. I make this observsation in case your issue is with Windows and not Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One you did not state as trying:

Logon to the computer using a different user account, perhaps the Admin account. Might indicate a user account issue in the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another one not stated:

Temporarily disable your anti-virus. Try launching LrC. Could indicate a conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, hiding the lrcat file resulted in the hung process, after 12 hours!, starting up to 'cannot find catalogue' dialgue box etc. Then I could use a default catalogue and start the program properly. I then tried to open my current catalogue and it restated with similar hung result. I'm sure it's catalogue related yet when I use my backup archived catalogues going back for months I still get the same result - i.e I don't think it is a one-off corrupted catalogue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I think I've figured it out. Clearly the most recent and active lrcat was corrupted. Problem was when I clicked on another (older catalogue) or hid the active catalogue or tried any trick to force it to open another catalogue it still tried to open the corrupted and most recent catalogue as directed by the value:

"libraryToLoad20" = path,..

in the config file "Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs" located in:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\PreferencesLightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs

which also directed LRC to load the corrupted catalogue

By changing the path to another more recent backup instance of the lrcat it started but with the notification:

"Problem syncing with current catalogue

This appears to be a duplicate or automatically created backup of you catalogue,...blah blah"

It asked me to restart and sync the catalogue which I did not do as I took the win and reimported any recent photo addditions to catalogue etc

Hope this helps any else stuck in this hell hole loop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines