Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LRC not opening/can't uninstall

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,
I'm looking for some help with LRC. All of a sudden, it won't open. I click on it, it loads for a bit - then nothing. I can also not uninstall it! I have tried the following:

- restarting the computer multiple times

- installing it again
- uninstalling (it won't)
- uninstalling it by uninstalling Adobe Cloud first (still won't work)
- uninstalling with the Adobe Clean up program as per tutorial (will uninstall everything BUT Lightroom Classic)

Please help! The regular Lightroom programm works, but I need Lightroom Classic for my work.

I'm using Windows 10.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

I do not think that should be responsible for what you are experiencing.

My thourghts are the problem is directly related to your GPU driver and that creates the Lock file, which remains in place preventing the launch of the Catalog.

First I would disable the GPU acceleration, even if it requires you do that manually, all the details were provided in Alex first response. And leave it disabled for the time being.

Next check that there is no Lock file next to the Catalog file, if there is also a .

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#troubleshooting

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

If Lightroom doesn't start correctly the please see "Solution 2" in the document behind the second link.

Troubleshoot GPU issues | Lightroom Classic (adobe.com)

Another step is to try to reset the Lightroom preferences.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

It's recommended to backup your preferences before you reset the preferences to the default settings:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

If this doesn't help we need more informations about your environment.

Which operating system do you use?

Which version of Lightroom do you use?

Please post the exact version and not only phrases as "recent", "latest" and so on.

Do you get an error message? If yes, please post the exact message or an screenshot. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply Axel Matt.

As I cannot open my LRC, i cannot update the Preferences. I tried doing it manually, but am unable to find the folder - even after making sure that hidden folders are showing up as per recommendation. 

I am using LRC V11.4.1

Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 11 Home. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I managed the find the preferences file. Following tutorial. Will keep you updated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated the Preferences. To no avail, I'm afraid. It still won't open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And no error messsages come up when attempting to open LRC. 
However this message pops up repeatedly (after click 'continue' the same pop appears) Screenshot 2022-08-02 102100.pngwhen attempting to deinstall it via Abobe Cloud:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the influx of messages! I noticed LRC was running in the background whilst looking deeper into my Task Manager (it wouldn't show up on the main list and was hidden). I've closed it down (it was running six times simultaneously...) and am in the process of successfully de-installing.
Will reinstall and take it from there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reinstalled it - but it still won't open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have do a clean reinstallation by using the Adobe Cleaner Tool? Because if you do a normal deinstallation some user specific files will be remain and were using by former installations.

For a clean reinstalltion please follow the steps below:

If you're unable to install the cc desktop app at this stage, use an administrator account (solution 4 here, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me Axel Matt. I have just completed this process, step by step, in all detail.

Still, nothing. I will post a video of what is happening (not). 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bit hard to see, but when clicking on LRC via my desktop, it will show a loading sign briefly, as though it is loading, then that disappears and nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to be running in the background, because LCR is showing up on my Task Manager under Background Processes. 
Screenshot 2022-08-02 131644.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Kirstin, could you please post a screen capture of your “ Lightroom “ sub folder which contains your Catalog/s, those files will end with the extension .lrcat ( dot LRCAT ) by default the folder should reside on your computer HD, users > your user name, Pictures / My Pictuers > Lightroom.

When I see what the folder contains it may offer some clues to what has taken place.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply DdeGannes, and please see image below:
Screenshot 2022-08-02 141904.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, if Lightroom Classic shuts down in a normal way there should be no Lock files present in the folder.

The screen capture shows two lock files present in the folder and they will prevent Lightroom Classic booting, I would suggest you try deleting those two “dot LOCK” files. 

Next double click on the Lightroom Catalog file it’s the one with the blue Lightroom logo and ends .lrcat extension. That should boot LrC and open the Catalog file.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you DdeGannes, 
I have just followed your advice and deleted the two LOCK files. Neither the Catalog nor LRC will open, still. Seems like my case is a bit of a tougher nut to crack...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Thank you, Denis) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also another .LOCK file appeared in that folder, after deleting the first two. I deleted that one also but no changes. LCR is still running as a background process according to Task Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thought could you post a screen capture of your Preferences > Performance tab, so I can see what info is displayed.

One other question, when you deleted the lock file and tried to reboot have the lock files reappeared?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-08-02 145918.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks heaps Denis,
I cannot seem to be able to locate the Preferences folder anymore, I think the screenshot posted is where I found it before!

And to answer your other question, yes I deleted the two .Lock files you pointed out, tried to reboot with no luck, then ended the LCR background process from the Task Manager. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From distant memory, I may have closed LRC a couple of days ago without allowing it to back-up. Maybe this influenced the problem I now have somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think that should be responsible for what you are experiencing.

My thourghts are the problem is directly related to your GPU driver and that creates the Lock file, which remains in place preventing the launch of the Catalog.

First I would disable the GPU acceleration, even if it requires you do that manually, all the details were provided in Alex first response. And leave it disabled for the time being.

Next check that there is no Lock file next to the Catalog file, if there is also a .WAL file present next to the Catalog file delete it also.

Next double click on the Catalog file to boot.

Let us know if that works. 

P.S. If there is a .SHM file present in the Lightroom folder nex to the Catalog delete it also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Denis.
I remember doing the GPU process in the beginning already which hasn't worked. I have de-installed LRC again, would you recommend doing the GPU process after re-installing it? 
I deleted the .SHM file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines