Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LRC not opening/can't uninstall

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,
I'm looking for some help with LRC. All of a sudden, it won't open. I click on it, it loads for a bit - then nothing. I can also not uninstall it! I have tried the following:

- restarting the computer multiple times

- installing it again
- uninstalling (it won't)
- uninstalling it by uninstalling Adobe Cloud first (still won't work)
- uninstalling with the Adobe Clean up program as per tutorial (will uninstall everything BUT Lightroom Classic)

Please help! The regular Lightroom programm works, but I need Lightroom Classic for my work.

I'm using Windows 10.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

I do not think that should be responsible for what you are experiencing.

My thourghts are the problem is directly related to your GPU driver and that creates the Lock file, which remains in place preventing the launch of the Catalog.

First I would disable the GPU acceleration, even if it requires you do that manually, all the details were provided in Alex first response. And leave it disabled for the time being.

Next check that there is no Lock file next to the Catalog file, if there is also a .

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggested you get the latest up to date driver for your GPU Card direct from the manufacturer, the one installed by your Windows auto update process is not always correct. Use the driver for Studio not Games. When that is done boot and see if Lightroom Classic boots successfully and functions satisfactorily. Then you can go to your Lightroom Preferences > Performance tab and activate GPU from there.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Denis, thank you so much for your helpful tips.
I have updated the drivers for both of my graphics cards (ensuring they are the right ones - for photography not gaming). Have restarted several times but sadly, no luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just a thought: maybe your catalog is faulty.

Please try the following: Press and hold the Alt key while you starting Lightroom. In the Select Catalog dialog box, click "Create a New Catalog" and see if Lightroom starts.

More infos you'll find here: Troubleshoot corrupt catalog (adobe.com)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Axel Matt, I tried this too! It didn't work but I aprecciate your time. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought out of the box, sometimes two driver updates for your GPU card are offered for windows system, make sure you are not using the one enhanced for Gaming.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point as my laptop is a Gaming laptop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On other point here is GPU  acceleration in LrC really only shows any noticeable improvement if you are using 4K or 5K large monitors.

However you can check your experience if you are able to get it functioning. Concentrate on getting your Catalog launched and functioning first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that the catalog that you are trying to open is the one in your screenshot? The one with the lock file. Try double clicking on the .lrcat file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this may have relevance, the LRC Catalog is the one from the Author’s screen capture the one named Lightroom Catalog with the blue LrC logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, good points. I have tried selecting the right icon for opening the LR Catalog, but that won't open also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok everyone, I don't know what exactly did the trick here but all of a sudden, my LR is opening up! Yay!

I just saw another .SHM file pop up in my LR folder which I deleted (again). And tada, LR opens, after getting the warning below. I created a new catalog and I'm now good to go again. Screenshot 2022-08-03 081430.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much everyone, all your answers helped tremendously! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines