Exit

LRC presets and edits won't display in exported photo

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks for reading.  

Problem: Presets and edits used on photos won't export

Environment:  LRC 12.3 Build 202304101834-a08245c, on MacBook Pro 2015 with macOS Monterey 12.6.5

Workflow steps: 

1. Import .arw file (Sony RAW file).  During import, convert to DNG file and add keywords.
  2. When editing, use a "user preset" I've created on the imported DNG file. Everything looks good
  3. Click on "Update DNG preview & metadata in the "Metadata" drop down.
  4. Export photo: with settings - rename file, export as DNG with "Compatibility" set to Cam raw 2.4 or later, or 14 or later, with JPEG Preview set to Medium or Full Size. 
  5. Exported photo on desktop opened in Preview - no edits show
  6. Upload to Google Photos - edits not there when viewed
  7. Upload to Google Drive - open in Preview - edits not there when viewed with Preview
  8. Import exported photo into Light Room Mobile - edits ARE there.  

I had no trouble with this workflow until a couple of days ago.  Any ideas why this is happening?  Anything else I could try?  Also when I export as TIFF file all edits show OK, but I want to avoid the excessive file size with TIFF.  I appreciate your help, experience, and expertise!  Thank you.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is as expected. If you export as DNG, then Lightroom will export the unaltered raw data as a new DNG and save the edits in the metadata of that DNG. Because this is a new DNG, updating the preview is useless. That updates the preview of the original DNG only. Because very few apps (except Adobe apps) can read these metadata, non-Adobe apps will show an unedited image. Why don't you just upload the original DNG rather than exporting a new copy? That will upload a DNG with a preview that does show the edits...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines