• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LRC Remapping keyboard shortcuts (again)

Enthusiast ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows PC, Windows 10 Pro, LRC <current>

A couple years ago there was a topic about remapping keyboard shortcuts.  The response was that for Windows there's no way.

I use Photoshop, and regularly zoom in with ctrl/+, out with ctrl/-, and fit with ctrl/0.  Which, ctrl/0, in Lightroom Classic turns the histogram on and off. 

In the intervening 2.5 years, has Adobe provided a good, supported method of changing keyboard shortcuts that will be persistent across updates?

If not, are people still doing it by editing the TranslatedStrings file?  And if so, can someone tell me what the command should be?  I can find the zoom in and zoom out, and even zoom to 100 key mappings, but what do I put in for zoom to FIT?

I can find:

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/View/ZoomIn/Key=Cmd+'"
"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/View/ZoomOut/Key=Cmd+-"
"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/View/ZoomTo100/Key=Cmd+Option+0"

and I've tried

"$$$/AgLibrary/Menu/View/ZoomToFill/Key=Cmd+0"

and "ZoomToFit", but neither works.  So, HOW do I do this?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Examining all the potential key mappings, I don't see one for either Fit or Fill -- LR doesn't implement it.

However, you can type "z" or space to invoke View > Toggle Zoom View, which toggles between Fit/Fill and whatever percentage zoom level you had last selected (e.g. 100%).  So if you've zoomed in, type "z" to get back to Fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In the intervening 2.5 years, has Adobe provided a good, supported method of changing keyboard shortcuts that will be persistent across updates?"

The TranslatedStrings file is the only way to directly assign keyboard shortcuts within LR. I just tested updating from 10.4 to 11.0.1, and the update didn't overwrite my TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt.  I haven't tested other languages -- it probably still overwrites those. 

TranslatedStrings isn't documented by Adobe, but the mechanism has been present from the beginning and a large number of users, especially those in languages other than English, rely on it. I'd be very surprised if Adobe withdrew that mechanism without providing an alternative.

Be sure to add your constructive opinion and vote to this feature request:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/lightroom-classic-allow-for-keyboard-shortcut...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically I'm stuck regularly toggling the Histogram on and off 'cause Lightroom is ALMOST the same as Photoshop for zooming...  <heavy sigh>

I'll go over to the feature request. 

I was going to ask if Adobe ever implements the requests people have been screaming about for years, but seeing the feature request answered my question - it was STARTED in 2011...

Though even at that it's probably newer than when people started screaming for string substitution like Bridge has, and Lightroom still doesn't have that either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe does occasionally implement feature requests, but most of them don't get implemented :-<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines