Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

LrC smart collection includes photos that don't match criteria

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have defined a smart collection in LRC that is defined as "Keywords contains <name of town>". It contains all photos that match that rule but also includes some older, scanned images that do not match that rule. "contains words" behaves that same way. Any idea as to why this is happening and how to get around it?

TOPICS
Desktop

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the keywords of one of the photos that should not match the filter, but still shows? Without seeing that we can’t possibly tell what is going on.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps not surprisingly, if I simply apply the original criterion as an ordinary filter in Grid view, the same thing happens. The extraneous old, scanned images whose keywords do NOT match the filter appear!?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've worked around this as follows, but it shouldn't be necessary. I added criteria to the one described above that says "any of the following are true" (by holding Alt when clicking on the + button) "file type is not JPEG" and "Keywords contains iPhone", since I shoot raw, except on my iPhone, and my old, scanned files are all JPEGs.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just leave it; as long as you figure out the problem.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo! That explains it. There's a Powder House Park in Amesbury as well as the one in Somerville and I've defined it as a sub-keyword of Amesbury. I imported (or tagged) the scanned images some time after I defined the keyword, I think. I've declared your question at the top of this sub-thread to be the answer! Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is ‘Powder House Park” a subkeyword of “Amesbury”? That would explain it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curiously, all of the spurious matches seem to contain "Powder House Park". I think that's the only thing they have in common.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Johan_Elzenga 

Here's an example of a keyword list that mysteriously matches "contains Amesbury" or "contains words Amesbury": bench, Leica, men, Powder House Park, Somerville

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion regarding filter on camera instead of keywords. The scanned images are JPEGs, which is why I said to include only photos that are not JPEGs unless they were taken with my iPhone.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So these scanned images are NOT JPEGs? 

Also, you can filter for iPhone using "Camera" (which is what I use) rather than keyword contains which should be more effective:

SoforIphone-a955deb6-5214-4c0c-8229-22908b398db3-686514629.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SmartCollection-0999b83f-4185-4c8f-92c3-f742ecf923a1-237532518.jpg

Andrew, above is the SC definition as modified to work around the problem. Call me dense, but the process of getting the screen shot was very round-about. I used Ctrl-Prtsc to capture the entire screen, pasted it into a new file in PS, cropped it to show just the dialog box, saved it as a TIFF, imported the TIFF into LRC, and exported the result as a JPEG. There must be an easier way, but it was the best I could come up with.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*DavidMeyers 

Need a screenshot of the SC. That would really help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines