Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LRC Some issue on v. 11.0.1

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I optimize the LRC catalog it closes unexpectedly.
Sometimes when I create a catalog I have this warning an excessive number of characters, even if it is less than 170 characters. See screenshot.

lightroom-issue.JPG

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the complete absolute path for your catalog?

How many alphnumeric chrarcaters does that add up to?

Also, for the preview folders and the new data folder, how many characters?

How deep in hard drive folder structure is the catalog?

You may need to cut down on catalog name length

You may need to clean up / simplfy folder structure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoldingD

I have always used this character length in filenames. But I never got this warning in previous versions of LRC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google translation: "Unable to create or open a catalog named "20211130-lead-bath" on volume "Data (D :)" because the preview cache paths would exceed the maximum length allowed for the paths on your platform. The complete catalog path, including the catalog name and separator characters, cannot contain more than 170 characters. The path provided contains 167 characters."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes when I create a catalog I have this warning an excessive number of characters, even if it is less than 170 characters. See screenshot.

By @Advarte Fabio C

The warning DOES NOT say you have an excessive number of characters. It says that you are close to the limit, but still under the limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  dj_paige

When this warning appears LRC does not create the catalog file, even if it does not exceed the limit of 170 characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not forget that in addition to the catalog, other files/folders will also get created, they might go past the limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom Classic only allows a file length of 260 characters, this is in contradiction to W10 which allows long file names exceeding this by a lot. 

it is important that Lightroom Classic follows changed to W10 and adheres to what's allowed by the OS

all windows programs should use MAX_PATH as their path limit setting, that's just good programming, and indeed required by Windows standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message is incorrect and confusing. Some testing shows that in both LR 11.0.1 and 6.14 on Windows 10, the maximum path length for a catalog's .lrcat file is 160, not 170.

The maximum length includes the path to the catalog folder, the catalog folder, then the .lrcat file.  For example, when I ask LR to create a catalog named "1234567890" in C:\Users\john, the full path is:

C:\Users\john\1234567890\1234567890.lrcat

which is 41 characters.

The maximum hasn't changed since LR 6.14, but perhaps you're trying to create a catalog in a different parent folder than before.

If you're observing something different than a maximum of 160 characters, then please copy/paste here the full path to the parent folder in which you're trying to create the catalog folder and the exact name you provided to File > New Catalog.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnrellis

you are right.

I calculated the full path to the file in the screenshot and it is 161 characters long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines