Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LRC Version 12.1 performance issues using masks

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yesterday I update LRC to V12.1

I was using a lot of masks including brush masks.  But the performance was extremely slow, taking many seconds (over 10 seconds) to complete updates.  If I was doing a number of brush strokes I could be waiting a minute or so for them to show.  I tried a few things to improve performance like closing down background apps. Increasing Camera Raw Cache Settings to 80GB, this cache in on an SSD separate to the programmes folder. Purging the Cache. Using GPU for export. 

In the end I reverted back to the older version 12.0.1 and edited the same images with the same masks and it was vastly faster, nearly real time. 

I attach the system info from LRC, (using LRC V12.0.1) though I note it says windows 10 when in fact the machine is Windows 11.  This is system info from windows. 
PS I didn't notice any performance issues in any other areas but I didn't do anything extensive outside masking edits.

Many thanks for any help or advice you can give.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name QUIETPC-NOV2020
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor, 3793 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1004, 13/08/2020
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
BaseBoard Version Rev X.0x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume15
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22621.819"
Username QUIETPC-NOV2020\shayf
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 15.1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 52.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 29.5 GB
Page File Space 21.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Windows Defender Application Control policy Enforced
Windows Defender Application Control user mode policy Off
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (31.0.15.1694)"

That graphics driver is five months old. Go directly to Nvidia.com to update to the latest driver.

This may or may not be the cause of your problem. But Adobe is continually making improvements to AI masking, and LR is very sensitive to problems in older drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John I will give that a go.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated driver to most recent, but no difference. An example of the issue.  I have a mask with 30 brush strokes. If I adjust the exposure on this mask by reducing it by 3 stops it takes 18 seconds for the adjustment to appear on the image.  I can use the history button to toggle his adjustment back and forth and it consistently takes this long.  I reverted to LRC V 12.0.1 and using the same image and the same exposure adjustment on the same mask, and toggling back and forth takes 3 seconds.  So it's taking 6 times longer.  I need to try the same thing on my Dell laptop to see whats happening.  Many thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: 

Following advice in another discussion today with similar issues with peformance with V12.1 I have turned off the option to use the Graphics Processor in Camera Raw Option, it now appears the issue has improved.  It not longer takes 18 seconds to switch on and off the adjustment mentioned in my previous reply to John below it now performs the same way as V12.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue - on MacBook Pro M1 Max with 64gb ram, OS Ventura 13.0.1
Also incredibly slow when trying to scroll through presets and the settings pane..  sometimes the pane doesn't move at all for seconds, even when scrolling the trackpad with two fingers.. 
Also reverted back to 12.0.1 which works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some notes on reverting versions to improve performance.

Often on the forums, I see reports of people saying something like: 

"I upgraded from version X to version Y and version Y is very slow. I reverted to version X and the performance returned to normal."

On the surface that seems to say version Y has an issue and that reverting to version X restore functionality. Also likely is that the installation of version Y was flawed but not the application itself. Often a clean reinstallation of version Y solves the problem just as reverting would. 

Clean Lightroom Install Procedure

1. Close Lightroom
  2. Restart the computer
  3. Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom
  4. Restart the computer
  5. Install Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.
  6. Restart the computer
  7. Launch Lightroom
  8. Wait 5 minutes

When considering reverting to a previous version I would recommend trying the clean install procedure first. This process insures the current state of your machine is clean. After days, weeks, or even months (I've never found a machine that was years on the current session)  without restarting, considerable cruft can accumulate and cause some funky behavior. 

If you've reverted, I would recommend giving the clean install process a try to see if we can get you acceptable performance and the latest fixes and features. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography It's too painful to do all that when Adobe is patching all the time, frequently and we are paying for a service. There should be a way where the update process is transparent for us and we avoid googeling for solutions and the do a clean re-install after that.
Sorry for being harsh but I use the Lr for work and already had several issues on updates I'd like a better response from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It should not be necessary to do this regularly - especially not at each update. 

Often the condition of a customer's computer can create a bad install.  The primary cause for this is extended periods (weeks, months) between reboots of the computer, or many many sleep-wake cycles. If you reboot regularly, this procedure should never be necessary. If, however, you haven't rebooted in a couple of months and your computer has gone through a sleep-wake cycle a couple of hundred times, you may find your self at risk.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on MacBook Pro 14 (M1 Max, 64GB RAM). 
Since LRC 12.1 it's incredibly slow to scroll through presets. Rollback to LRC 12.0.1 everything is fine.

It's a shame that every release of LRC has bugs and advises like updating drivers or restarting the computer are bullsh.it

Come on Adobe, test your software properly before releasing them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If reverting to 12.0.1 helped, then follow the procedure provided by Rikk Flohr for upgrading to 12.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines