• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC wants to resync all files in an existing Catalogued folder held on a NAS

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom Classic 11.3 on MacOS 10 Monterey. My photo library is mostly stored on a Synology NAS connected via SMB. The Catalog is stored on the laptop as per Adobe requirements.
In order to have the fullsize images available, I just connect the Mac to the NAS via the finder using SMB. When I'm off my home network I use the smart preview functionality to work with images.
This has worked very well for years, with the shared folder appearing as an additional drive in the Folders list in LrC with a little green "light" showing when the NAS is available, and allowing me to browse the catalog regardless.
I've recently changed the NAS, but copied the data across and ensured that all the paths remain the same. The share name is still "public". The servername may be different (I always mapped the files via an IP address or servername and it didn't seem to matter and LrC never displays any file location info that includes the server name). When you map an SMB share on a Mac it mounts the folder in the /Volumes tree (eg smb://192.168.0.2/public is mounted as /Volumes/public and I wondered if that was how LrC recorded the file location).
When I click on a photo and select "Show in Finder" LrC opens a finder window to the correct file. There are no indications in the LrC UI that the link to the photos is broken. However, when I add extra photos to a folder on the NAS using the finder and then try to "Synchronize Folder" to get LrC to find the new file, it says it needs to import all the images in the folder to the catalog and delete the missing files (which it thinks is all of the ones it currently knows about). If I let LrC resync, it creates a new drive item in the folders list with exactly the same name "public" with just the folder that was re-synced listed within that tree. An outcome is that the Lightroom metadata is lost. I spent ages adding tags and ratings to photos.
How might LrC be identifying a difference in the hosting of the photos when it can still display them and send me to the correct finder location? Is there a way I can check what file location metadata Lightroom is storing, to see if there's something I need to change in the way I've mapped the SMB share? Or is there a better way of mapping the existing items in my catalog with the files on the new NAS?

Thanks for any help!
Steven
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Could be the "capitalization problem". See https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/problem-with-import-new-photos-from-synology-nas-get-two-similar-folders-in-lightroom/m-p/12047781

Could be other things as well, but no other obvious ideas enter my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be the "capitalization problem". See https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/problem-with-import-new-photos-from-syn...

Could be other things as well, but no other obvious ideas enter my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @dj_paige for the speedy response!

I was wondering if it was some difference in the configuration that was insufficient for the Mac finder to have difficulty resolving the path, yet confused LrC? The annoying thing is that LrC doesn't give any clues to what the problem might be. Even in the example in that article, the two "disks" look identical (both "MYBOOk"). In my case they are capitalised the same too (see attached image). That's not to say there isn't a difference somewhere internally in the properties of each Catalog item which causes LrC to discriminate. I'm guessing that one file reference internally might be \\192.168.0.2\public\photo1.jpg and the other \\192.168.0.254\public\photo1.jpg. Is there any way to examine the catalogue records to try to identify what the difference might be?
I'll try the solution recommended in that article, though I'll have to source an additional external disk first.
Thanks for the pointer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please include screen captures by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon. My web browser will not show attachments here in the Adobe Forums.

The mismatch in capitalization could be in parent folders or in drive name. In other words, the entire FULL path must have the same capitalization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-04-19 at 23.54.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a Python module which might help me interrogate exactly what is going on inside the catalog. I'll report back if it is helpful!
https://github.com/thatlarrypearson/LightroomClassicCatalogReader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wasn't able to get the Python script working, but the README.md file for the repo included some SQLite information and a query to query the contents of the LightroomClassic Catalog, and I can see from that query that the files on the old "drive" are within the path /Volumes/Public/ while the new files are within the path /Volumes/public/, so as you correctly guessed, it seems to be to do with the way the share was mounted.

Here's how I got a list of files from my Catalog - on a Mac (all instructions originally from https://github.com/thatlarrypearson/LightroomClassicCatalogReader ðŸ˜ž

1.  Make a copy of the catalog file while Lightroom is closed, and work on the copy, not the original.
  2.  Download and run the SQLite command line app
  3.  .open 'catalog-copy.lrcat'
  4. Run the query:
    SELECT
      root.name AS root_name,
      folder.pathFromRoot AS folder_path_from_root,
      file.originalFilename AS file_original_name,
      root.absolutePath AS root_absolute_path,
      root.relativePathFromCatalog AS root_rel_path_from_catalog,
      file.baseName AS file_base_name,
      file.extension AS file_extension,
      root.id_local AS root_id,
      folder.id_local AS folder_id,
      file.id_local AS file_id
    FROM AgLibraryRootFolder root
    JOIN AgLibraryFolder folder ON root.id_local = folder.rootFolder
    JOIN AgLibraryFile file ON folder.id_local = file.folder
    ORDER BY root.name, folder.pathFromRoot, file.originalFilename;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines