• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lrc will not move pictures from Previous Import into a Lightroom collection

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier this year I switched from PC to iMac that has since been upgraded to Big Sur.  All photographs are stored on external hard drive that is formatted for MAC.  The method I remember using to move files from the original external hard drives to the new Mac formatted drive was simply locating files on old disk and dragging to new disc using Lightroom Classis Folders panel on left side of LRC.  The earliest transfers of pictures might have been accomplished by opening the old and new discs on the iMac desktop and dragging files from old disc to new disc.  I don’t remember if I did that or not but it was in the original plans – if it matters.

There were some important photos that didn’t make it to the Mac even though a few from the same folder did make it. Those missing photos were just located on the old disc and imported into Lightroom Classic.  Even though they are now in the Previous Import ‘folder’ they will not move into any other folder.  Any idea why? As mentioned earlier, these pictures were taken at the same place within approximately an hour of the other 6 pictures that made the original transition from PC to Mac.  All photos were taken with the same camera, same SD card, same lens, even the same old coot behind the camera.  Everything the same except the transition from PC to Mac.  How can these pictures be made to safely import into a Lightroom Collection?

When the pictures were originally imported into a PC there were no issues that I can recall and editing happened without issue as well.

I tried something else – editing ONE picture in Photoshop 2021.  No actual editing was done but Save was tried.  Below is the result of clicking Command + S.

Could not save as “IMG_5122-Edit.tif” because write access was not granted.

I have since checked to make sure that Lrc and PS are still granted access since this was an issue that was resolved earlier.  Both programs still are checked for Full Access and Accessibility.

Next I tried moving that one picture into the desired folder and was told it cannot be moved into that folder because it is already in there.  If this wasn’t so frustrating it would be downright hilarious.  The folder shows a count of zero pictures in the folder – I looked and I agree with that zero count.

And so, I tried editing the same one picture in Topaz DeNoise and this is the result:

Lightroom was unable to prepare the selected file at /Volumes/Yellowstone NP/Pictures/Sunset @ Yolo County      2015-08-30/IMG_5122.CR2 for editing.

It will not be opened.

I also used Library to rename that one picture.  Try to rename is more accurate.  There was some convoluted, cockemayme explaination why the picture will not be renamed.  It is now my opion that iMacs are just more expensive pains-in-the-neck than PC's.  I should have saved my money.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, 'Previous Import' is not a folder, it's a collection. That means you cannot 'move' images from this collection, because a collection is just a list. It's not the physical storage place of the images.

You probably haven't given Lightroom the proper permissions after upgrading MacOS. You meed to do that in the MacOS System Settings:

98E7DCC8-63C2-4E6F-B98C-2E1BD2FE8748.png

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan, thank you for your reply.  I'm not being argumentative.  I'm looking for solutions, not arguments.  But I have loaded thousands of pictures into Lrc the same way and this is the first time I have had this problem.  After importing the pictures Lightroom loads them into the collection, Previous Imports and when I double click that the pictures file the screen in a grid.  I am then able to move all or part of the group of pictures into a collection or collections.  This time that does not work.  I tried a couple other things since then and they also have not worked.  Those efforts are detailed in the original post.

The problem of iMac not having the necessary permissions was delt with some time back by the Adobe Agents.  I checked earlier to make sure those permissions are still in force and they are.  Your Security and Privacy folder shows Adobe Lrc with 5 'thingys' (sorry, I am not a computer aficiando and I don't know the proper name for these things) all of them checked.  Mine do not show any checkboxes.  Both Lrc and PS have the icons displayed in normal colors but to the right of the icons is the name of each program (Adobe Lightroom Classic and Adobe Photoshop 2021). The icons are not grayed out but the names are.  Directly below each name it says "Full Disk Access" also grayed out.  I believe that means that ALrc can come into my Lrc and steal me blind whenever it so desires because it has full access.   In the last several days I imported pictures using an SD card.  Several minutes ago I imported pictures from my iPhone using a cord.  Those pictures imported and were dispersed to different collections like so many times before.  These pictures that are the subject of the original post are currently residing on an external hard drive that was used for a number of years on a PC.  Thousands of pictures on that old drive were successfully moved by me to a brand new drive that is formatted for Mac.  About 6 of those pictures were moved quite some time ago.  They were taken same time/same place/same equipment as the larger group that will not move.  They are all essentially identical but a few moved earlier, a bunch will not move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is a link providing detailed instructions on how to grant access to folders on MACOS Catalina, and thereby Big Sur.

https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

Work thru it to verify everything

In that instruction, step 4, unlock. If you do not unlock, things can be grey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next I tried moving that one picture into the desired folder and was told it cannot be moved into that folder because it is already in there.  

Several gotchas have occurred to other members, thinking a photo is not in a folder, and not included in the catalog.

1. Filters applied, be that Rated, Label, flag, some bit of Metadata, Text, Attribute, file type, etc.

2. Sort order.

3. Stacking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoldingD, thank you for your reply.  Unfortunatly I don't understand.  Attached should be a screen shot.  If you look about midway in the list of collection folders you might be able to make out Duck Pond Davis.  It shows empty even though I have attempted to slide a number of pictures into it from the grid in the middle of the whole thing.  The first time I tried it the pictures in the center grid were only those pictures I wanted in that collection and that is when the message came the first time that they would not be moved.  I don't recall the reason given for not moving them.  Since then, Lrc Library will not rename them, Photoshop will not Save them and Lrc will not send them to DeNoise.  The reasons for those refusals are listed on the orginal post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screen capture

• Filters are off (lower right, above filmstrip) so not that
  • Library filtering on Text, Attribute, and  Metadata, is set to none, so not that (upper row, just above grid view)
  • Sort order is by Capture Date, as opposed to file name. But if images are in that empty folder, then that is not the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These pictures that are the subject of the original post are currently residing on an external hard drive that was used for a number of years on a PC.  

Just to check, that external hard drive. It is not allowed to go asleep, correct?

hmm, to add to that inquiry, an observation

Lightroom was unable to prepare the selected file at /Volumes/Yellowstone NP/Pictures/Sunset @ Yolo County      2015-08-30/IMG_5122.CR2 for editing.
It will not be opened.

Are you working with Smart Previews, that error message sounds a lot like you are, and when you went to an action requiring  LrC to access the original photo, it could not. As if the drive was not connected, or awake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those old drives sometimes go to sleep.  Is that a problem?  My intent was to move them from that drive to the new drive that is formatted for Mac and is probably awake as much as I am.

I have never worked with Smart Previews and have no knowledge of how they work or what they are for.  That is not to say that they have been inadvertently made into Smart Previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drives going asleep at just the wrong time can be an issue. But would think the photos would be accounted for in folders panel.

Drives asleep mote often an issue when trying something that requires access to the original photo, such as an edit in, or an export. 

In hindsight, probably not just after an import, photos still in previoys import, then you try to add then to a collection, Assuming that all occured in minutes, (like 15 minutes)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several minutes ago I imported pictures from my iPhone using a cord. 

So, at this point, the photos giving you issues, are no longer in Previous import, correct? As a new import has occurred.

Now, this is probably in the long dissertation in your original post. But. The troublesome photos. What drive, what folder? In LrC, in the Folders Panel, select that folder, are they showing up? 

Yes, nothing to do with in previous import collection, but not able to work with. But might point to a cause, instead of a symptom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct, they are no longer the Previous Import.  However!!! that folder was not previously showing up in Lrc under that drive.  Now it is showing up and is the only one showing up.  That must be due to me opening the drive on the desk top???  But, the picture will still not move over into the Duck Pond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the old drives going to sleep.  They all seem to ve awake now since their icons are showing along the right edge of the desktop along with the half dozen screen shots I've made since learning how to do that.  Is there a method to keeping the drives awake?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other members are about to scream at me, Noooooo

But

In LrC, in the Folders Panel, for that troublesome folder, the one stating no photos, right click on it, Synchronize it, in effect a backdoor import.

see Synchronize folders in:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/create-folders.html

not at a computer, might have some if that wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines