Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lrcat file size increased significantly

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all -

The size of my lrcat file when exporting a catalog appears to have drastically increased almost overnight.  I have been exporting catalogs to my clients for years averaging 25-50MB in size but I have noticed this week they are 400-500MB and I haven't made any changes at all?! I have searched the forums and only found one thread but it didn't help me with the issue.  Please advise.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could investigate by actually looking inside the exported catalog and seeing if somehow a huge number of photos is in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most recent catalog I exported included 806 images and was 477MB.

Another example - A different client sent me a wedding gallery via Lightroom catalog to edit last week.  It included over 3400 images and was only 41MB.  After rating and editing about 1100 of them I sent the catalog back and it was 503MB.  Same client sends me a smaller gallery this week of only 162 images and it was 462MB.  Normally, when she sent me catalogs with similar quantities of images it was only 20-25MB. 

It's like something happened which now increased the exported catalog significantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anything changed recently on your computer, or in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed at all dj_paige - No Lightroom or computer update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally I did one test.  I created a fresh new catalog and imported 17 raw files of my own.  I selected them and exported them as a catalog (unchecked negative files, checked build/include smart previews and include available previews).  All of this is per usual the past three years.  The .lrcat file for 17 images was created at 461MB!  For 17 files.

Now, one thing I have noticed lately is when exporting catalogs I see the normal exporting process box pop up but then it also displays a message that says "Copying profiles 3D LUT to new catalog".  I haven't added or imported any new camera profiles (to my knowledge) but feel like this may/may not be related to the issue?  How do I stop that process from happening or check that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an option "export negative files" when you Export as Catalog. Could that have been turned on?

This option includes copies of all the original photos involved, and a partial folder arrangement to contain these, along with the new exported Catalog into the chosen destination. It's these new copies of the photos which are imported to the new Catalog.

So, using this option makes a self-contained independent setup that does not rely on, or share, the same images as the main Catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exporting negative files either richardplondon - I've been editing for clients for three years now and literally nothing changed 😕  I've been exporting Smart Previews & Catalogs back to my clients with normal sized catalogs (.lrcat files specifically) between 25-50MB for years.  I receive and edit about 5-10 catalogs weekly.  I looked back in my folders to clients and It looks like about a week or so ago something changed and now they are all huge.  Even small catalogs with 125 images are all 500MB!

I'm really confused on this one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on the latest Classic version (8.4) ? There was a bug that sounds extremely similar to what you are describing a short while back where a single camera profile would cause exported catalogs to balloon like crazy. It almost behaved like a virus in that as soon as you had this all exported catalogs would be gigantic. I am pretty sure that got fixed in the interim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had high hopes this would resolve the issue but it did not Jao VdL - I did read that thread and details.

I was running v8.2 but I upgraded to the newest v8.4 and exported the 17 image catalog again and it was still 461MB.

Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the first step of the instructions in the last response here Lightroom Classic CC 8.0 large sized backups and LRCAT file and once I deleted the files in the Table folder they literally regenerated themselves as soon as I reopened Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the bug hasn’t been fixed yet. You should look at

feedback.photoshop.com and see if somebody else reported this issue or

generate a new thread there. Unfortunately no Lightroom engineers frequent

this forum but the feedback one is specifically meant to report bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to get help from Adobe support.  I spent two hours with support walking through all the steps on my computer.  I see this issue mentioned several times on forums.  It doesn't make sense why a program or set of profiles I do not have (3D LUT) are being copied into every catalog.  They are coming from the Tables folder (.dat files).  And, no matter if you delete them or not they are regenerating every time Lightroom is opening.  No matter if I export a catalog of 800 files or export a catalog of 1 file - the catalog size is including an extra 450GB of these entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you managed to solve this issue? I've just updated my LR to V10 and I'm finding the same issue now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Any news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh good news: update to LR v11 fixed the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The latest version of LrC is 11.4.1 If you haven't already updated to 11.4.1, then I recommend that you do so as it includes additional features and bug fixes not found in LrC 11.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines