• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lumix s5 raw images lightroom - hugely underexposed.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had this issue. I've shot them properly exposed and yet when imported to lightroom they turn almost pitch black. 

Any help?? 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably caused by some camera setting that lifts the shadows or increases the brightness of the image.

Camera settings only affect jpgs, including the image you see on the back of the camera and the jpg embedded in the raw file. Check your camera for any exposure settings, and set them to neutral.

You can also, if you like, put a sample raw file on Dropbox or similar, post the link here, and we could take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Per, I definitely have removed any such features like auto exposure etc etc, here is a link to some raw shots. The odd thing is, they even show up properly exposed on the preview files on my computer but when they are imported into lightroom or capture one they immediately become about 3 or 4 stops underexposed... And the same when they are uploaded onto Google drive it seems. I don't get it!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1N31t2HqF8wlA53OWUpLHTc0Opj9ZxUPU?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @jonathann29893633 

Most viewiers, by default, show the JPG preview embedded in the raw file. Lightroom Classic shows it rendering of the actual RAW and does not show the JPG preview. So when you say "The odd thing is, they even show up properly exposed on the preview files on my computer but when they are imported into lightroom or capture one they immediately become about 3 or 4 stops underexposed", I say there's nothing odd about it, that's what Lightroom Classic is supposed to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! I'm still confused though.. I had a canon mark Iv which I shot raw on and the raw images came up in lightroom as I'd shot them and so I had the latitude to play with exposure as I wished. These S5 raw files are hugely underexposed when imported, even though I overexposed some to test - the overexposed ones are just usable when the exposure is brought up in lightroom and the ones that were properly exposed in camera arent usable.. so that doesnt seem right to me? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! I'm still confused though.. I had a canon mark Iv which I shot raw on and the raw images came up in lightroom as I'd shot them and so I had the latitude to play with exposure as I wished. These S5 raw files are hugely underexposed when imported, even though I overexposed some to test - the overexposed ones are just usable when the exposure is brought up in lightroom and the ones that were properly exposed in camera arent usable.. so that doesnt seem right to me? 

By @jonathann29893633

I don't have your brand of camera. I have a Nikon DSLR. There is a function called "D-Lighting" on my DSLR which causes the exact same problem when you turn it on. The JPGs look fine, the RAWs look fine in Nikon software (because it knows how to compensate when this option is turned on) and the raws look dark in Lightroom Classic (because LrC doesn't know what to do with this particular option).

I realize this is little help for your Lumix S5, other than you need to look for such a function and turn it OFF, and then your problem ought to be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your photos show up in my Lightroom Classic 10.1.1 (Windows 10) as very dark, over +3 exposure needed to get a reasonable looking photo. I agree with @Per Berntsen , I believe this is an in-camera setting which affects the JPG and the JPG preview, but doesn't affect the raw as it appears in LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

did you fix this dark RAW file problem? ... I have the same and I don't know where the bug is. after turning on the HLG everything returns to normal, while in v-log mode they are terribly dark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and can't figure out what's wrong! Anyone figured it out? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@carlotta24671747eg3f 

Several people have suggested above that there is a camera setting that potentially causes this. Please investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have suggested this, because they had no clue about the reason.

The issue clearly happens, when shooting in V-Log. The exposure is definately correct, but LR still shows them extremely dark. Seems LR has some problems with V-Log.

Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NB, after looking into the technicals for a bit: The S1/S5 sensors' dynamic range is skweked towards to shadows (about 8 stops below and 2 stops above neutral grey). Therefore in V-Log profile the camera decides to expose in such a way to utilize mostly the shadows. This is compensated by applying LUTs (both in camera) or more advanced RAW-viewers optimized for those cameras/sensors by automatically applying a dedicated profile optimized for V-Log. Adobe doesn't seem to care about the relatively small niche of Panasonic cameras and therefore doesn't provide something like that. Best solution: Avoid V-Log for photos (it's best/otimized for Video anyway) or live with the fact, that you have to adjust +2 ... +3 EV in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cheers, that is the answer I needed. I've seen other people have solved this same issue by turning off the "i.Dynamic Range" option, but mine was off, but yes I shoot V-log as I shoot a lot of video, now I know, for shooting stills I need to turn V-log off. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn 'i.Dynamic range' OFF in-camera and it fixes it!

i. Dynamic Range basically auto adjusts (i = intelligent) your contrast and exposure when shooting high dynamic range scenes (ie. bright outdoor landscapes).

The camera still captures a RAW image but when imported into Lightroom the preview will look different (usually underexposed) to what it looked like on the LCD /LVF.

Turning it off has saved me loads of time, having to add +1.00 exposure values in Lr just to get it back to what it looked like on my camera at the time of shooting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines