Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P.
2x m.2 slots, upper one is pcie 4.0, lower one is pcie 3.0

I have Kingston A2000 pcie 3.0 500GB — 2,200/1,500MB/s
I have Crucial P3 Plus pcie 4.0 1tb — 5000/4200MB/s

Using Lightroom Classic and considering only speed (and disregarding capacity), which drive should I use for System and which drive should I use for my images and catalog to get best possible performance?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the location of the photos: You will find that drive speed (and transfer speed) changes Lightroom Classic speed by such a trivial amount that you will never notice the difference.

Regarding the location of the catalog file: normally, the advice is to put the catalog file on the fastest disk. But after a certain point, getting a faster drive will not produce noticeable improvements.

Reading between the lines, it seems you are having speed problems in Lightroom Classic. Please state clearly what actions in Lightroom Classic are slow. Some problems can be fixed by getting a faster drive, other problems cannot be fixed by getting a faster drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for fast response.
I actually do not have huge performance problems, I just got faster drive and I'm curious how to organize drives for best performance.
Only thing I wish runs faster is skipping from image to image in Develop module. I have ryzen 9 5900x, nvidia 3070, 32gb ram and my catalog is usually in the same folder where my raw files are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually do not have huge performance problems, I just got faster drive and I'm curious how to organize drives for best performance.

Unlikely there will be more than a trivial difference no matter how you organize drives

Only thing I wish runs faster is skipping from image to image in Develop module. 

Not disk drive related. There have been some other threads recently about moving from photo to photo in the Develop Module, I suggest you search for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks once again! I have searched both Google and Adobe forums but I couldn't find any threads related to the Develop module's performance when it comes to moving between images. It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide me with a link to those threads. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen such threads here, but I do not keep track of links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Placing you catalog & previews on the fastest drive will benefit you more so than the actual images being on the fastest drive. Likewise, placing the Camera Raw (CR) cache on your fastest drive will be quite beneficial if using using proprietary raw files. DNG files don't use the CR cache at all, but do have a user option for embedding the CR cache files (i.e. Fast Load Data) within DNG files. Whether you're using proprietary raw or DNG, LrC will uses the CR cache files / Fast Load Data in the Develop module while it renders the full image in background. You should be able to determine how quick the rendering process takes by watching the Histogram update.

It's also worth noting that if you're in the habit of what Adobe call 'Turbo Walking' (i.e. hold down the left / right arrow keys) to race through the images, then it's the CR cache files / Fast Load Data that you're seeing, not the original files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That answer was extra helpfull and detailed! Thanks so much. So I guess I should keep my Catalog with previews on the same (fastest) drive where my system is (where my program files are and therefor CR cache aswell)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your Windows PC system drive (C:) is fast and has lots of space, then yes that would be the ideal choice for the catalog and CR cache. However, if space is limited or you need the catalog to be portable (e.g. moved between two or more computers) then a secondary SSD/NVMe is a good alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines