• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M1 Macbook Pro & Ext. Drive choices

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it looks like I've found all the items I need to buy to switch my working over from my 2015 27" iMac to my new M1 Macbook Pro and wish to make doubly sure I'm not missing something that might make LRC work faster in Develop mode. Im going to buy a Dell 2720Q 4K monitor which has plenty of ports and Thunderbolt 3 connection to the M1 MBP.  For the my RAW files I'll also have 2x 8T HDD's plugged into a Thunderbolt 2 dock connected by a USBC hub to the MBP as well.  ( The Catalog, RAW cach, previews on my MBP internal 1T SSD). As far as the externals, everyone seems to love SSD's because I guess they are stable and quick and I was looking to go down that road as well to replace my two ever filling 4T HDDs' with (3 or 4) 4T SSD's but the price became a bit scary, so it's back to HDD's again - (2x) 8T's, which will keep my desk tidier anyway and I wont have to plug unplug or daisy chain 4 SSD's.  I know little about transfer speed issues between drives and various interfaces but realise thunderbolt is probably the best for the monitor but what about the drives? Will a fast rpm make any difference? Ive worked with WD Black's for the last decade or so, which are 7200 rpm, thinking they would speed things up but will just buy 5400 rpm Blues this time if it wont change anything.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated. Im ready to go!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Drive speed/connection speed of the drive where the photos are located has only a trivial impact on Develop module actions. Using HDDs via USB instead of Thunderbolt SSDs will be fine. And I don't think you will notice a difference between 5400rpm and 7200rpm, as the Develop Module uses very little disk access after the initial load into memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines