• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac hard drive clogging up despite catalogue being stored on external hard drive

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me solve an issue that's driving me mental. My Lightroom catalogue is saved on an external hard drive. However, when I import photos to Lightroom Classic, my Mac hard drive also seems to fill up and I cannot for the life of me work out why. 

Is it the case that Lightroom is saving previews etc somewhere on my mac by default, even though my catalogue is saved to an external HD?

Thanks 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previews are saved in the same folder (well, actually in a subfolder of) the folder that contains your catalog file.

The photos are saved wherever you tell Lightroom Classic to save them when you import.

So, your task, confirm (rather than just say) that the catalog and previews are on an external drive, and not on the internal hard drive. Confirm (rather than just say) that your photos are saved on the external drive and not on the internal hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't mentioned what size your internal disk is and how much space it has remaining, which can be helpful to those of use trying to provide help. Additionally, when LrC imports raw photos it creates cache files for use in the Develop module. By default, these are stored on your primary disk and the default size for the cache is 5GB (see atached screenshot). The location and size can be changed by the user, but don't reduce below 5GB. In some cases, users may have increased the cache size to improve performance. If you've done so, then reduce to 20GB or less. 

camera-raw-cache-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another thing to watch out for when importing is to make sure that the Make a Second Copy To option is either deselected, or if selected make sure it’s pointed to the folder you really want. If it’s always making second copies of all imports into a folder on your computer, that could be a reason you’re losing storage space.

Lightroom-Classic-Import-Second-Copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines