Exit

🔎 Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC HEADER .jpg

How to provide Full Disk Access on macOS

Since macOS 10.14 (Mojave), Apple introduced a new privacy structure to help ensure that all applications obtain user consent before accessing documents, downloads, desktop, iCloud Drive, and network volumes. This has been reinforced in newer versions of macOS. This change prevents unauthorized access to user files and folders.

When Full Disk access & Accessibility permissions are needed, users may be asked to or be required to change the setting in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy for Lightroom Classic manually.   

While for the File & Folders access, the user is prompted to allow or deny when needed. 

Why provide full disk access to Lightroom Classic?

Insufficient or broken permissions may restrict Lightroom Classic from functioning correctly and break your workflows. All tasks that require access to the computer's storage importing/exporting images, cross-app workflows, reading/writing metadata,  and more, behave unexpectedly. It may also lead to missing images, performance issues, unexpected sync issues, and random app crash on launch or while working on a file. 

Watch this video for the steps:

MohitGoyal_0-1686770353032.png

Quick steps to enable full disk access and grant permissions to Lightroom Classic

Follow these steps to prevent the permissions issues from occurring: 

❶  Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Click the Lock icon > Authorize via password > Unlock the lock to allow changes to system settings. 

SameerK_0-1649863460950.png

Add Lightroom Classic by clicking on the (+) button & navigate to the Applications folder on macOS.

SameerK_0-1651070095792.png

Go to Full Disk Access and add Lightroom Classic by clicking on the (+) button & navigate to the Applications folder on macOS.
Note: Adding Lightroom Classic under Full Disk Access overrides Files and Folders settings. 

SameerK_1-1651063386869.png

Click the Lock icon to save the changes. Restart your computer to see the applied changes. 

Stay tuned for more tips to come.

Related links:

Lightroom Classic system requirements 

Quick Tips: Optimize LrC preferences for better performance 

Basic troubleshooting steps to fix issues in Lightroom Classic 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 388 Replies 388
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to MacOS 'System Settings - Security & Privacy' and add Lightroom Classic to "Full Disk Access". Click on the lock icon to unlock the settings, then click on the plus icon to add Lightroom Classic if it isn't already listed. If it is listed, then just enable the checkbox.

8FAF7F99-A440-4BB2-9901-F028FC00EAD8.jpeg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, now it's ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version 5.2
Mac OS 12.3.1

Since upgrading my macOS to 12.3.1,

I am unable to import from my camera card (attached to my computer with usb)
message: “The following files were not imported because they could not be read”

I am unable to import from my internal hard drive to my external hard drive

I am unable to work with images stored on my external hard drive in Develop module

I am able to import from a folder on my internal hard drive to another folder on my internal hard drive

In Develop module, I am able to work with images stored on my internal hard drive

I am able to save Pages documents to my external hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a buggy day, previous reply disappeared upon posting. On the MACOS, in the Apple Menu, choose System Preferences, choose Security and Privacy, choose Privacy, scroll down to Files and Folders, make sure Removable Volumes is checked for Adobe Lightroom Classic.

CatalinaFilesandFolders.PNG

Now, probably overkill, but lately some members with new MACOS and new versions of LrC also need to allow LrC to have Full Disk Access. So scroll up to Full Disk Access and add Adobe Lightroom Classic. See:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removable Volumes is checked.

Apps displayed in Full Disk Access are greyed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Apps displayed in Full Disk Access are greyed out'

Unlock the panel, see the link bottom of previous reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have fixed my problems.  I'll do more thorough testing and reply again to (hopefully) confirm that this is the solution.

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it is working. But I should fess up, I completely missed the obvious statement that you have old perpetual LR5.2. (Assuming that you do not mean the Cloudy version as opposed to Classic)

Could you accomplish the following for clarity?

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reference by future readers, Apple changed something in its draconian security rules in Mac OS 12.3.1 and many, many people here are experiencing a range of bad symptoms, requiring LR have Full Disk access (which was never required before). See this article for how to grant Full Disk Access:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested this further and everything now seems to be working well.

For clarity, I am not using Lightroom Classic.  I am using standalone Lightroom 5.2

From System Info:

Lightroom version: 5.2 [922700]
Version: 10.16 [0]

Thank you to all who helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To help others who come here, did you have to grant Full Disk Access or did the issue resolve itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to grant Full Disk Access

sorry that wasnt clear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, LR classic can no longer locate my catalogue after updating the software on my MacBook Air yesterday (to OS Monterey version 12.3.1).

Does anyone know how I can fix this please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, do this: Go to MacOS 'System Settings - Security & Privacy' and add Lightroom Classic to "Full Disk Access". Click on the lock icon to unlock the settings, then click on the plus icon to add Lightroom Classic if it isn't already listed. If it is listed, then just enable the checkbox.

B92BC0CF-182C-497F-B775-12040746F7E9.jpeg

Then, if Lightroom can still not find its catalog, find it yourself manually. Double click on the catalog file to launch Lightroom. You only should have to do this once. From now on Lightroom knows the location of the catalog again.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurrah!  Thanks so much that has solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this message:

The Lightroom catalog cannot be used because the parent folder “/Volumes/Fotos Jorge/Lightroom Disco Externo” does not allow files to be created within it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread moved to Lightroom Classic. 

It sounds like you have some kind of permissions problem. The most likely fix... go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Files & Folders (on the left) > find Lightroom and make sure all of the checkboxes are checked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on this, Apple changed something in its draconian security rules in Mac OS 12.3.1 and many, many people here are experiencing a range of bad symptoms, requiring LR have Full Disk access (which was never required before). See this article for how to grant Full Disk Access:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John. This worked great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria. All the check boxes were checked. The article that @johnrellis sent here, worked great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines