• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintaining Folder structure using "Add" on import

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client who uses Lightroom differently that I do, so I am unsure as to how to help her. She creates a file and folder structure using Finder on her Mac, then uses "Add" in the Import dialog to import the existing Folders to Lightroom. She does this on two different computers, a Mac laptop and a Mac desktop. The "Folders" Pane in Lightroom looks different on each machine. On the Laptop, the "Folders" Pane shows her hard drive, then the folders the imported. On the Desktop, the "Folders" Pane shows her hard drive, the parent folders from where the folders were imported from, the folders she imported, then the content. This is how she's like the Folders Pane to look. Can someone tell me: why is this behavior different on the two different machines, as the macOS and Lightroom CC version match on both devices, and is it possible to adjust the "Folders" Pane view to match without re-importing everything? I hope I explained this well, and thank you in advance.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"On the Desktop, the "Folders" Pane shows her hard drive, the parent folders from where the folders were imported from, the folders she imported, then the content."

I would suggest that the [ADD] option was not used.

The fact that the photos are in a sub-folder of "imported from" suggests that [MOVE] option was used for the imports.

Without seeing screen-clips of the folder structure, or the import dialogs, difficult to provide a helpful answer.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is more or less accidental whether folders which form the hierarchy / parent location for those that the images live inside, but which do not themselves contain any imported images directly, are shown or not.

In the case where just the image folders are shown inside the drive volume, cmd+clicking (I think it is on MacOS, but regardless, getting up the context menu for one of the top level folders that are showing) - and choosing "show parent folder", will cause that to appear in the Folders panel too.

And any reorganisation of LrC's previous sequential listing of these folders, so as to correctly show their actual nesting once what they are nested inside is visible - that happens automatically.

To take an analogy: when you don't know people's parentage then they are just "John", "Andy", "Fred" - a simple list. But once their father's names are known they become John son of Mike, Andy son of Bert, and Fred son of (the same) Mike - so it now becomes evident that John and Fred are brothers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like on her laptop the parent folders are simply hidden. Tell her to right-click on one of those folders in the folder panel on the laptop and choose 'Show Parent Folder'. Then do the same with the parent folder to show its parent.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines