• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mask off an area and lighten the rest of the picture.

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to mask of an area and lighten the rest of the picture. For example, mask the bracelet and make everything in the picture light. But not lighten the bracelet. I am trying to make the background white/lighter while keeping the bracelet color the way they are. I have tried using the mask and painting around the bracelet but it always comes out looking fake.

20200610-20200610-DSC_4415.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

When I select the Graduated filter my screen looks different than your. The range mask is off and greyed out. How do I turn that on? And what is step 2 doing please?

After clicking on the Graduated Filter (Step 1) hover the cursor over the right side of the canvas. Next (Step 2) hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor slightly to the right. If necessary straighten or move the Graduated filter so that the three lines are not touching the canvas as in my screenshot. This will apply t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

I have a very short video that shows the Gradient Tool working with Range Mask 'Color'-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp0nq2n27739jzr/Range%20Mask%20Trick.mp4?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 6.36.31 PM.png20200615-20200615-DSC_4914.jpg

The first is a screen shot. The second is the picture. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom classic has much better masking tools (auto mask in particular)

On your image i tried doing it with light settings.   I increased whites, and highlights/contract to get close perhaps.

Export1234.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you painted around the bracelet using the mask, but you didn't use full white. I just want to make sure I understand. Thank you for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that I am using Lightroom classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh; I did no painting; I was simply adjusting light sliders.

If you are using Classic then you can do it much better.  Use the paint tool with the auto mask turned on. It will help you stay "inside the lines".  Paint the area you want white avoiding the bracelet; then simply adjust the exposure of the painted area up.    If you get some paint on the bracelet use the eraser to unpaint it.  Prss the "O" on the keyboard to see where you painted

This is the Lightroom Cloudy version forum btw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

¿Cómo se acoplan las capas en LR Classic? Gracias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom-Classic does not use or understand 'layers'.

In LrC v11 new Masking panel was introduced that applies local adjustment Tools (Brush, Gradients). This panel has the appearance of the Adjustment masks as layers.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

Rob_Cullen_0-1652915122306.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Classic then it's possible to use color range masking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will have to look up color range masking. I am a newbie and I am not sure what it is. If you happen to know a good tutorial that would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuHYJvBXIQ

Real simple using a Graduated Filter dragged off the canvas so it's applied to the whole image using a Luminance Range Mask. Follow steps 1-5.

Luminance Range Mask.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I will try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Todd_Shaner I could use a little help with this. When I select the Graduated filter my screen looks different than your. The range mask is off and greyed out. How do I turn that on? And what is step 2 doing please? I appreciate the help. I have been struggling with white backgrounds forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select the Graduated filter my screen looks different than your. The range mask is off and greyed out. How do I turn that on? And what is step 2 doing please?

After clicking on the Graduated Filter (Step 1) hover the cursor over the right side of the canvas. Next (Step 2) hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor slightly to the right. If necessary straighten or move the Graduated filter so that the three lines are not touching the canvas as in my screenshot. This will apply the Graduated filter uniformally across the whole image. I suggest watching the video at the link I provided if you are still having trouble. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuHYJvBXIQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very short video that shows the Gradient Tool working with Range Mask 'Color'-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp0nq2n27739jzr/Range%20Mask%20Trick.mp4?dl=0

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The video was great. Nice and easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC thanks for creating the video. Just to avoid any confusion I used the Luminace mask, which is more suitable for brightening just the white background, but everything in your video applies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Todd_Shaner

@WobertC

Is there any reason why the color or luminace mask would work on a picture. On some photo's I follow the steps and when I make the adjustment (up the whites) nothing seems to happen. I do before and after and the white stays the same. Sorry for so many questions I am a real newbie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot as below showing your settings and the image file.

Luminace Range Mask2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 6.36.31 PM.png20200615-20200615-DSC_4914.jpg

The first is a screen shot. The second is the picture. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your biggest problem is that there are tones of luminance in the jewellery (esp. specular highlights) that are the same as the background.

It gets very difficult to use any type of masking to isolate the item from the background. The Gradient method I demonstrated in a video is very useful in some situations, but it has difficulty with your last images posted.

If your background is a pure white you might get a better start to editing if you expose in camera to render the background as 'white' in the image, then you will not need major adjustments in Lr. (or any at all!). In fact- in Lr, even just an increase of the global Exposure slider will, I think, achieve what you want. (Turn on the clipping indicators [J] to assist.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I was practicing the technique on my worst photo's maybe that is the problem. I will work on the photo's that are closer to white. I do have some. Thank you very much for your help. This technique is a life saver for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As well as pushing up the slider for whites try also increasing exposure & perhaps crop to size.

20200615-20200615-DSC_4914.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2nd picture you posted has light falloff probably from using a camera mounted flash. You can correct this by using a Graduated filter that is applied as actually intended to correct it. Adding a Luminace Mask helps preserve the detail in the bracelet. In the below example the Graduated filter placement and settings used help to make the lighting more uniform. It's not a huge difference, but looks pretty good to me!

The white paper background inflates the camera's metering, which leads to underesposure. As suggested in the future try using an in-camera exposure compenstaion of about +1.0 EV when shooting with a white background. Also look at other lighting techniques. Do a Google serarch on 'jewelry photography lighting.' There are lots of low cost lighting solutions.

Graduated Filter WIth Luminace Mask.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines