• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking Mode - Don't see full set of sliders on older photos

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on an older image, a RAW nikon file. When I click to add a mask, then a brush, the effect shows up as "soften skin (lite)" with only 6 options plus color) Other options are exposure, color, clarity, etc. ...some with a preset value, some not. No idea where all these came from. Don't see "custom" option. which often has  many options like texture, clarity and sharpness. Is this because it's a very old image in my files. adjusted before with older Lightroom? the new images don't have that problem. But this doesn't explain why it goes to some present "soften skin" which I wouldn't have used before in a landscape... THanks, Mary

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

It's almost certainly the Process Version. Images previously edited under an older Lr version which used an older Process Version (PV) will retain that by default. This preserves the same adjustments and their result exactly, until you say different. A "lightning bolt" icon shows under the Histogram in Develop, in this case. The interface changes to show only the adjustments proper to / supported by that older PV. These may be fewer / different than what you see for new images in the current ver

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the process version, as it is an old file, it may have an old process version selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost certainly the Process Version. Images previously edited under an older Lr version which used an older Process Version (PV) will retain that by default. This preserves the same adjustments and their result exactly, until you say different. A "lightning bolt" icon shows under the Histogram in Develop, in this case. The interface changes to show only the adjustments proper to / supported by that older PV. These may be fewer / different than what you see for new images in the current version. Local adjustment presets refer to these PV-specific adjustments too, so compatibility may require you seeing a different list of available presets. There's no point in a preset which sets DeHaze, if DeHaze is not a known adjustment according to this particular PV.

Hovering over the "lightning bolt" icon displays what Process Version this image uses. Clicking that icon assigns the current latest PV. LrC will then 'guess' at a configuration of current style adjustments that approximates the effect of whatever older style adjustments were in place. This cannot deliver an exact match, or even a close one reliably - some change is usually then seen.

You may then decide to put the image back to older PV ( e.g. with Undo) - say, if fully re-processing is not worth it right now. Or you may prefer the results from latest processing enough, that you are ready to invest that effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the issue! I couldn't find anything in all the books or tutorials I had about process versions.  I just looked in the 2020 lightroom Classic version and they mention them...but not where/how to update (p 254) Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I should have added: if unsure about the Process Version question you can make a Virtual Copy, and then update that to the latest Process Version. Now you can see both side by side, and play around with either one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...I did just that! Didn't see a lot of difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you know if there are expert tutorials on the new features anywhere on the Adobe site? I get confused by the site -- although I note that Julia Kost has some good updates on her YouTube channel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines