I've been editing some engagement photos off and on this past month. I was having zero issues making edits, using masks with lots of updates. I had to take a break for about two weeks and when I went back to doing the same thing I was doing before it was almost unusable. I would go to add/subtract from a mask and when I was done it would beachball for a few seconds then render. I would start again and it wouldn't even recognize that I had started again so I would have to wait again for several seconds and try again hoping it would work.
I've made sure LRC and Camera raw were up to date. I updated my OS to the latest version. I moved some content to an external to free up hard drive space. I updated the driver for my Wacom Intuos S. I increased the camera raw cache from 5 to 10GB and turned off "generate previews in parallel" as suggested by a post somewhere else. It still does the same thing.
So I figure I would try here since I haven't seen anyone posting with a mac with an M1 chip.
Lightroom Classic version: 11.5 [ 202208080927-8a575c91 ] License: Creative Cloud Language setting: en-US Operating system: Mac OS 12 Version: 12.5.1 [21G83] Application architecture: arm64 Logical processor count: 8 Processor speed: NA SqLite Version: 3.36.0 Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB Real memory used by Lightroom: 2,338.4 MB (14.2%) Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 427,838.9 MB Memory cache size: 163.8MB Internal Camera Raw version: 14.5 [ 1177 ] Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5 Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2 Camera Raw virtual memory: 1377MB / 8191MB (16%) Camera Raw real memory: 1616MB / 16384MB (9%) Displays: 1) 1920x1200