• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory card is wiped after importing to Lightroom

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i import images from my memory card into lightroom the images on the memory card are deleted. Why does this happen and how do i stop it from happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a normal Lightroom procedure, and should not be happening. It is recommended that images on the card should be deleted in the camera, and that the card should be formatted in the camera. Does this happen every time? What operating system are you using? Also, what exact version of Lightroom are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe exactly how you import. If you use Apple Image Capture, then this could happen because this is an option in Image Capture.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a card reader and import in lightroom from the card reader. I have been doing this for years without problems. It started when I purchased a Lexar C Fast memory card for my Canon EOS DX MkII. I do not know what apple capture is so I assume I am not using apple capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR never deletes after an import as other's have stated so it would have to be some other application, perhaps from Lexar (?) that is taking over this task. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the LrC Import options, have you selected to Eject after Import, to automatically eject the card? That saves you from damage when actually removing the card if the computer is still communicating with it.

MACOS is especially finicky about that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Import methods, is ADD or MOVE  available. When importing from camera or card, they should not be available. If they are, a problem exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, deleted? Are you seeing they are gone via Finder? or via LrC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It started when I purchased a Lexar C Fast memory card for my Canon EOS DX MkII.

Check at the top center of the import dialog that you do not use MOVE. That should not be available, but it's possible that the CFast card is seen as an external drive, rather than a memory card.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been resolved? I'm having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so, you just have to be careful and select Copy. Adobe can't fix it because it's the OS that treats the card as a hard drive.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe probably could improve the situation with CFast cards that are treated as a Hard Drive if they checked the drive to see if has a DCIM structure and if so it would disallow Move.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checked the drive to see if has a DCIM structure and if so it would disallow Move.  

Good point, @Bob Somrak. Seems such a simple check (or maybe it's a workaround) to fix this. Surprised Adobe have not already implemented it unless there are other reasons why it would not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a known issue with XQD, CFast, and CFExpress card readers. The operating system shows these as external hard disks instead of removable media and Lightroom Classic will not realize it is a memory card and offer you to "Move" images which it won't do if it realizes you are importing from a memory card. There is a feature request here somewhere to change this behavior if Lightroom notices a DCIM folder but it has never been implemented by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines