Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory Leaks (Or what appear to be) in Lightroom Classic v13.0.1

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic v13.0.1 

Appears to suffer from huge memory leaks which after a few minutes use bog the my machine down so much that I have to wait seconds at a time for the mouse to respond! 

Below is the system info as reported by Lightroom Classic just after opening and then again a few minutes later after editing some average sized photographs. (Taken as RAW on a Canon EOS 5D MKIV)

You'll see the difference in memory usage. It's just a joke!! 

The only cure I've found is to close Lightroom, wait for my machine to clear itself up and then open it again. Hardly practical when you have 300 odd photos to edit and you're having to close the application every 3 or 4 pictures...

I chatted to some disinterested 'technical support' person who's only suggestion was to uninstall and re-install Lightroom. I didn't have time then, but have done this since and guess what - it made no difference whatsoever.

I have a pretty powerful machine, 20 cores, 32GB RAM, acres of disk space and the app and catalog live on SSD.

Has aonyone else come across this issue with the most recent versions of Lightroom Classic? It's only started happening in the last couple of releases....

One other thing I notice is that on the odd occasion when I use the AI Demoise feature, sometimes it flies through in a few seconds and does (usually) a pretty good job at cleaning up noise artifacts, but other times it can take several minutes to do the same thing...? Why??? If I look at the GPU usage when the Denoise feature is active, it's maxed out at 100% regardless of whether the image is cleaned up in seconds or minutes.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Lightroom Classic version: 13.0.1 [ 202310121438-d2af310c ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 11 - Business Edition
Version: 11.0.22631
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 20
Processor speed: 3.6GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
CPU Utilisation: 0.0%
Built-in memory: 32682.0 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 1455.5MB / 8151.5MB (17%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32682.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1321.5 MB (4.0%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3140.0 MB
GDI objects count: 850
USER objects count: 3274
Process handles count: 3467
Memory cache size: 8.9MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.0 [ 1677 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 82MB / 16341MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 223MB / 32682MB (0%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Standard Preview Size: 1440 pixels
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: Radeon RX 5500 XT (31.0.22023.1014)
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto

-----------------------------------------

Lightroom Classic version: 13.0.1 [ 202310121438-d2af310c ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 11 - Business Edition
Version: 11.0.22631
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 20
Processor speed: 3.6GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
CPU Utilisation: 0.0%
Built-in memory: 32682.0 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 7598.3MB / 8151.5MB (93%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32682.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 13475.8 MB (41.2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 17425.0 MB
GDI objects count: 1342
USER objects count: 4184
Process handles count: 5225
Memory cache size: 2017.4MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.0 [ 1677 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 2078MB / 16341MB (12%)
Camera Raw real memory: 2344MB / 32682MB (7%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Standard Preview Size: 1440 pixels
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: Radeon RX 5500 XT (31.0.22023.1014)
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from cc desktop bugs">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I think - Where did you move my post to? I can't seem to find it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the Lightroom Classic fourm:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/memory-leaks-or-what-appear-to-be-in-li...

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been many reports of this, see the link below. Not sure if Adobe has figured out where the issue is. They may have trouble reproducing it consistently, because for example I haven‘t seen it on my 32GB M1 Pro, Lightroom Classic runs great practically all the time. Yet the reports, about excessive memory use leading to a slowdown, have been rolling in for months, so it doesn’t look like just a few isolated cases:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lightroom+classic+memory+usage+mac+site%3Acommunity.adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. As someone that has worked in IT all my life and been a developer for some of that time I find it incredulous that an organisation the size of Adobe is happy to charge a subscription fee for software that clearly has issues and does not invest any effort in fixing it. It may be tricky to replicate, but thats why there are test teams and why they should be speaking to customers experiencing the issue and replicating it for themselves. It really is not accetable to publish faulty software and not address any significant bugs identified in a timely manner. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fully agree. Same issue here, been happening for at least 6 months.

What's more, some moderators in this forum end up closing the threads as time goes on without a solution, many times blaming the OP or other users who experience the same problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yep. The issue doesn't appear to have been resolved with subsequent releases.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE paying a subscription for software that isn't properly tested, or has issues the remain unresolved in a timely manner.

Do Adobe care? Not one bit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines