Meta data not readin correctly in Develop Module

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encountered an issue with the incorrect lens profile being applied when I use Lens Correction in the Develop Module. The metadata is correct when I view it in the Library, but the wrong profile is used in Develop. This has created some serious issues with some of my photos. Vignetting and barrel distortion were significantly affected. Now that I know the issue exists, I can apply the correct lens profile.

 

I have had the issue using a Canon 14-35L f/4. Lightroom applies the profile for the Canon 24-105L f/4 instead. I hop this might help others that experienced a similar issue, and I really hope that someone from Adobe sees this post and can direct it to the developers of Lightroom Classic.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

79

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022
Well... it appears that the issue I was having is do to "Operator Error". I kept looking at my data and discovered that I had the Lens Correction setup set to "Custom" instead of "Auto". As soon as I changed to Auto, the profile was corrected and everything was as it should have been had it not been for my mistake. Not sure how or why the setup got into Custom but I'm sure it was something I did somewhere along the line.

Likes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to do a better job with spell checking.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote

I need to do a better job with spell checking.


By @gcnp2008

The built-in spellchecker is not great, and browser spellcheckers are disabled here. In addition, new users are disallowed to correct their own posts. I did spellcheck your post for you.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The built-in spell checker is not great, and browser spell checkers are disabled here."

 

You can re-enable the built-in spell checker with a simple browser userscript:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/re-enable-your-browser-s-spell-checki... 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... it appears that the issue I was having is do to "Operator Error". I kept looking at my data and discovered that I had the Lens Correction setup set to "Custom" instead of "Auto". As soon as I changed to Auto, the profile was corrected and everything was as it should have been had it not been for my mistake. Not sure how or why the setup got into Custom but I'm sure it was something I did somewhere along the line.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Custom is not a good initial selection to use across the board because the differing lens metadata on each photo, assuming it's from an interchangeable lens camera, will be disregarded in that case.

 

"Auto" allows the factory-built-in assignment (and only that) to select an appropriate lens profile, based on metadata in each photo. But a better selection to use, is IMO "Default".

 

This gives you all the same built-in lens recognition as "Auto" but also employs, and gives priority to, any user lens-profile assignments you've set up yourself.

 

That is done by manually choosing which profile you want to apply for an affected photo, that is not being automatically chosen. Say: it is an unusual or older lens for which you have had to make or download a special profile. Or it is being wrongly chosen (sometimes an ambiguous lens ID code repeats across several different third party lenses).

 

So you save this profile assignment as a new user default - using an option in the profile selection menu.

 

This will work hereafter, for all other photos reporting the same lens (and camera model) metadata as this photo does - but only when set to "Default" profile selection, and not "Auto".

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines