• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Metadata Conflicts upon Import - LR Classic 12.3 on Mac

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started a new LR catalog and am importing images that I have added metadata to in another program. These are mostly Sony raw files and .tif. So, it's a new catalog and these files have never been imported before.

I cannot figure out why, immediately upon import, these images show a metadata conflict. I thought LR would just read the metadata from the file and that would be what's in the LR catalog. I've not changed anything in LR, so how can there be this conflict.

Does anyone know what could be behind this behavior? 

Many thanks for any info.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload a full-resolution screenshot (not a phone pic) of the entire LR window in Library Grid view showing the issue. That will provide useful details about the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a smart collection set up to capture pix with a metadata conflict. Attached is a screenshot of my LR window in Library Grid showing that collection. You can see all the little "down arrows" indicating a conflict. Like I said, I have done absolutely nothing to these files in LR other than import them!

Does that help any?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find this screenshot more helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'Down Arrow' metadata conflict icon indicates there is metadata in the Catalog that has not been written to the file XMP. So something you are applying during, or after, the import process is causing the conflict notice.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not doing anything other than importing them. The images are ADDed to the catalog without moving. The options under "Apply During Import"  (1) Develop Settings-> None and (2) Metadata-> None. LR should be doing nothing but reading the metadata in the file and importing. I would expect the LR catalog to be an exact reflection of what is in the file when it is imported. This does not happen to all the files - maybe about 1%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just made a test catalog and imported about 1300 test photos into it with Add.  18 of them ended up with Metadata Status of Has Been Changed".  (Note that the down arrow, indicating Has Been Changed, isn't a metadata conflict -- that's something else.)

All of the files were non-raws that had Develop seetings applied to them and stored in their metadata (from being in a previous catalog).  So evidently, when LR imported them, it applied those stored Develop settings to the photos, which then fools LR into thinking that what's in the catalog doesn't match what's on disk.  

Other things that could cause these symptoms include doing Address Lookup and Face Detection. Those run in background after import and change a photo's metadata, so what's in the catalog no longer matches what's on disk.

There are probably other things as well that cause this, some legitimate, some not.

In general, LR's metadata status indicators have gotten less reliable over the past many years.  So I would just ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @johnrellis  -"(Note that the down arrow, indicating Has Been Changed, isn't a metadata conflict -- that's something else.)"  - Perhaps I should not have used the word "conflict".

Rob_Cullen_1-1685163874444.png

My reference to the "Down Arrow?- Extract from 'Adobe Lightroom-Classic Missing FAQ' (Lightroom Queen)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines