Metadata Status has changed on all files after being viewed

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to LR V11 and all imported images since then have a message attached saying that the Metadata Status has changed in Lightroom.  I have to save these changes to disc to remove the message.

Is there something in preferences that can change to avoid this?  

I am using Mac OS Big Sur.

Many thnaks,

Ken

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can hide the metadata status badge in the upper-right corner of thumbnails: In Library, do View > View Options and uncheck Unsaved Metadata.

Of course, that won't change the fact that LR is changing the metadata status of the photos and thinks that the metadata in the catalog is newer than on disk. There's nothing you can do to change that.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks John,

I will do that and at least it will get rid of the warnings (which can be a pain).  Hopefully there may be a fix in due course.

Kind regards,

Ken

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hopefully there may be a fix in due course."

Unlikely, if the past is any guide. Every time there is a catalog upgrade, there are reports here of people seeing many or all of their photos with metadata status indicating they've been changed in Lightroom.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this issue when you have "Automatically write to xmp selected"?

I have never experienced this issue, and I do not have that option selected.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.6.5,; LrC 11.4, Lr 5.4, Ps 23.3.2-ACR 14.4,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Denis,

I'm not sure.  I've had "Automatically write to xmp" selected ever since my first version of Lightroom (V3) and never had a problem until the recent upgrade to V11.  I've turned off the notification and will live with it for the time being.

Regards,

Ken

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically after a new LrC version is installed, each image in the converted Catalog now possesses some extra, novel adjustment parameters.

And if the current XMP data written externally for a given image dates from before this upgrade, then that metadata will not include for those novel parameters. That is therefore a "technical" mismatch: AFAIK, unavoidably.

But - writing XMP out just to clear that notification, is of no actual benefit otherwise. Not until there is something meaningfully changed about the image. All you wouild be doing is replacing one set of metadata from which certain parameters are missing, with another set of metadata within which those same parameters do exist, but only (in effect) on zeroed values. Making no actual difference to the image itself, either way.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Richard,

Regards,

Ken

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines