Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrate edits from MacBook to other Mac

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I was over 3 Month traveling and did a lot of edits in Lightroom on my MacBook. I would love to have  them on my main Computer at home.

So what is the best way to do that? Is it possible to migarte the LR catalog from my MacBook with the one from my main Machine?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

If you know how to connect your MacBook to your main computer in Target Disk Mode, then you do not even have to use an external drive and do the export step. You can import the catalog on the MacBook main drive directly into your main catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

1. Connect an external drive to your Macbook. 

2. In LR on your Macbook, do File > Export As Catalog, selecting these options:

johnrellis_0-1668222588199.png

and creating the exported catalog on the external drive.

3. Connect the external drive to your home computer.

4. Start LR on your home computer and do File > Import From Another Catalog, with the option File Handling: Copy New Photos To A New Location And Import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know how to connect your MacBook to your main computer in Target Disk Mode, then you do not even have to use an external drive and do the export step. You can import the catalog on the MacBook main drive directly into your main catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, got it.

My problem right know is that I can´t import the catalog to my main machine because of different LR versions. Is there a way to export to downward compatible catalog?e catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think it´s time for OS update 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, got it.

My problem right know is that I can´t import the catalog to my main machine because of different LR versions. Is there a way to export to downward compatible catalog?e catalog?

By @BURN

No. You can import an older catalog into a newer one (a copy of the older catalog will be upgraded first), but you cannot import a newer catalog into an older one.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yepp, but in my case it´s the opposit. My local machine hase the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, and that is why I started my answer with the word 'No'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you can do is select all images and then choose 'Metadata - Save Metadata to Files'. Then you can import these images into the older catalog (as images, not as catalog). All edits will come across, except those ones that the older version of Lightroom does not understand.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines